clio

Post a Topic Specifically related to Renault vehicles.

Moderator: RichardW

mark c
My Cars:

clio

Post by mark c » 09 Feb 2005, 03:15

here's one for you guys,ok just got a renault clio 1.2 16v thats has four white sparks.this car is a 52 plate but has done 57k and is in quite bad condition.from what i've been told the car has always been run low on petrol.these cars have a filter built into the sender unit/pump in the fuel tank,this is meant to be changed at 100k so if thats to be believed i'm having to rule out changin the filter as the whole pump needs replacing.
so,the tanks clean,injectors have been cleaned but are noisey,no obstruction to flow in the pipes.their are no ecu warning lights coming up.
the exhaust is knackered and possibly a blown exhaust manifold gasket,but i still cant work out how its running lean any ideas?
0x

Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin » 03 Mar 2005, 03:45

Modern engines do run very lean and the plugs can look very white. Are you getting a lot of knocking/pinking? Why do you suspect there is anything wrong at all? Is the engine running hot?
The blown exhaust gasket and or exhaust system can upset the ECU so get this sorted and you may feel happier anyway.
0x

mark c
My Cars:

Post by mark c » 03 Mar 2005, 04:39

yes i know you are totally right. only thing is i have seen the spark plugs that came out less than 20k ago and the condition is perfect so really does make me wonder.
i am going to go ahead and try and get the exhaust sorted out asap,whether or not it helps like you say it will give me peace of mind and at worst one more possible problem out the equation!
thanks
0x

Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin » 03 Mar 2005, 14:45

Mark, I think if the engine sounds otherwise OK and the knock sensor is working you may just be being a little over cautious.
Depending on the system of mixture control a leaking or blowing exhaust can affect this marginally too.
Good luck, R.
0x