51 plate clio headlamp removal

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

commuter
My Cars:

51 plate clio headlamp removal

Post by commuter »

does anyone know how to get the whole unit out? The reflector is moving around behind the glass so I wanted to take the unit out and see if I can secure it. There is a bolt at the top which frees up the top edge but it is secured from underneath somehow.
Cheers
beezer

Post by beezer »

There are a few different designs but the basic oval headlamp on later Clios have two screws at the bottom. You have to remove the radiator grille panel to gain access. If you have a headlamp adjuster inside the car you have to unhook the mechanism on the headlamp (should be a simple ball and socket). There will also likely be a bracket (B) holding the headlight unit to the wing which is there to assist assembly at the factory. You have to cut this apparently.
Good luck with the repair. I am hoping to do the same kind of repair to a Skoda Octavia unit. Silly money for a replacement.
commuter
My Cars:

Post by commuter »

The headlamp is the newer shape (more triangular than oval). If I have to take the radiator grill off does anyone know how to do that? I guess at some point there'll be a Haynes manual for this model (Sept 2001 1.5 dci 64 bhp)
beezer

Post by beezer »

Probably much the same method to remove. Open the bonnet and undo the screws at the top of the grille then carefully prise the clips out from under the headlight units and the grille pulls out. Perhaps your lights are more the shape of the one in the picture.
commuter
My Cars:

Post by commuter »

Thats the correct shape, I'll give it a go and see if I can manage not to break anything in the process! Thanks for your help, I may be back next week with more questions when I demolish the front of the car at the weekend.
commuter
My Cars:

Post by commuter »

Just for your info I discovered the reflector was loose when trying to change a blown headlamp bulb - which is also a pig of a job due to restricted space and large hands. Hopefully the car has gone before I have to change another! Up until this point I've been really pleased with the car, it's performance, economy etc and would recommend buying one. It's a bit small for me and my girlfriend as it was only ever bought as a runabout for me but is now our only car.