Autobox problems

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Justahooligan

Autobox problems

Post by Justahooligan »

I have just bought a V6 Espace Auto, but found it to have a problem when at between 25-40 mph, it appears to be indecisive about whether or not it needs to be in 2nd or 3rd. I rang the vendor who tells me that the box ecu was recently replaced. Is it possible that I have the wrong ecu? Can I reprogram the ecu or do I have to find the correct ecu. The engine number is F019952 and vin number vf8j638450R442168. Any clues most gratefully received.
Justahooligan

Post by Justahooligan »

I have had contact from Tom Hunt at TES Transmissions, 01373 822041, who have been most helpful. They have provided guidance and diagnostic information, that has been most helpful. I would recommend them to anyone with renault autobox problems.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just read in pratical car mechanics mag that Renault auto boxes usualy are big money to repair. So it keep us informed on how you get on.
Justahooligan

Post by Justahooligan »

The man from TES he say YES. The dogs danglies. The man knows his onions and I now have a fully functional gearbox. I am sure that they will be as helpful as they can to any other questions. I will make contact with them and let them know...But I am in fact one happy bunny now...
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I'm really interested to find out exactly how you sorted this out, as I had a 2.o laguna which did exactly the same thing you describe. I took it to a mate who plugged it in to the renault xr25 which showed no problems, so my ar*e went and I sold it (disclosing the problem) on e-bay.
I would be as sick as a pig to think I could have easily fixed it!!
Justahooligan

Post by Justahooligan »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dan.2cv</i>

I'm really interested to find out exactly how you sorted this out, as I had a 2.o laguna which did exactly the same thing you describe. I took it to a mate who plugged it in to the renault xr25 which showed no problems, so my ar*e went and I sold it (disclosing the problem) on e-bay.
I would be as sick as a pig to think I could have easily fixed it!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The guy I spoke to was brilliant. I explained the symptoms, he asked a couple of questions then came up with a probable solution. He then gave me the part number of the suspect part, explained how to change it and offered further assistance if this didnt cure it. £9.68 later, fixed.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Eh!!! just £9.68 for a fix. Sorry I wont beleive it. No French car has a repair that cheap. Renault must have slipped up on this one then. The designers possibly thought that this part will never need changing so lets keep it cheap those "English will never know".
Justahooligan

Post by Justahooligan »

Hate to shatter your illusion but £9.68 was all it cost. The guy explained to me that the switch was telling the box ECU that I was braking all the time, which was telling the box not to stall the engine. There are two switches on the espace brake pedal, this one apparently goes wrong alot.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Top repair.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Thanks. I'm now as sick as a pig! :)
(however I saw it had sold again on ebay a few weeks later for a lot less than I sold it for!)
Justahooligan

Post by Justahooligan »

Well its just done its first real test. Driven round Europe, 2700 miles and the only hitch, a split in the water pipe that goes between water pump and nearside cylinder head. Nice!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That's a better test than most manufactures give their products.