Handbrake Renault 19. Help Appreciated

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JonnyWight
My Cars:

Handbrake Renault 19. Help Appreciated

Post by JonnyWight »

Lifted the handbrake this morning and it went really loose. It feels as though it still has some tension at the very top. Went over a large pothole last night (coincidence!!). Any suggestions how to repair or find out if it has snapped.
Thanks
beezer

Post by beezer »

It is possible the actuator arm (my own term) on the drum has been damaged by the pothole. This is the lever where the cable attaches. Pulling at either of these with the handbrake on should tell you if the cable has broken. The cable crosses over so o/s drum has cable attached to n/s of hand lever. A cable might be seized or the lug pulled off (bracket type thingy holding cable to body).
JonnyWight
My Cars:

Post by JonnyWight »

Got the beast up on the jack last night. The cables leading to both drums seem fine and secure, however one wheel is spinning with the handbrake on and the other is solid. Is this just a case of tightening something near the handbrake and if so do I need to do this from underneath or could there be a problem with the drum itself?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would remove the drum on the side that works. Have a good look at the set up. Then remove the one on the 'bad' side and see if anything is out of place. If all seems to be working it is a cable problem. You can adjust individual cables at the hand lever end. You have to remove the cowl round the hand lever. Looking at the way things work will tell you much more than trying to work it out from a manual.