Radio codes

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Berlingoboy1
My Cars: 2009 Citroen Picasso

Radio codes

Post by Berlingoboy1 »

Hi All, As I'm new to this forum apologies if this has already been discussed, My CD player in my 04 Berlingo has stopped playing, I've tried
CD cleaner disc but no joy, the radio works fine so not a power issue, i have an identical unit in my Clio which is not being used at the moment but when fitted in the Citroen it does not work. I've seen on ebay units for sale with codes if the vin is supplied, is there any way I can do this at home to save me buying a new CD player. Thanks in advance
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Radio codes

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you talking about the single slot CD in the head unit, typically an RD4? Or are you talking about a CD changer unit?

These units are coded to the vehicle using the VIN number. This is nothing you can do at home unless you have your own Lexia diagnostic tool to code it to the vehicle.

Also be aware, that although the unit may look similar they may be entirely different internally between Renault and Citroën . They have to be the same units using the same electrical architecture with the relevant software and hardware version to be compatible with PSA vehicles.

Post up your VIN here and I’ll advise you of the correct part number for a compatible replacement,
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Berlingoboy1

Post by Berlingoboy1 »

Hi Marc Thanks for your reply, the unit is a single slot cd/radio. I have been on ebay today and there are loads of units for sale at reasonable cost so was thinking could I install a new system which would include being able to access music from my phone or will I have the same problem getting it to work properly.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It is important that I understand what Berlingo and equipment you have - so your VIN is important.

Secondly, be aware that if replacing the unit (if you have an RD4) with a non-RD4 compatible unit - it will block certain configuration of your vehicle unless you are replacing it with a like for like unit - which will still need to be VIN coded to your vehicle - they are NOT plug and play. The Head units in PSA vehicles interface with the vehicle's main computer system to activate and deactivate certain functions. Putting a non-PSA unit in will mean losing some of the ability to change options.

Marc
Berlingoboy1

Post by Berlingoboy1 »

Thanks Marc

The vehicle VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Its obviously not a case of just buying a replacement unit and slotting it in like the good ole days.
Ive seen plenty of used units on ebay for about £30 to £40 and new boxed Kenwoods for around £50 but I will wait before I buy anything.

Thanks again, Steve
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are forum members who have Diagbox clones, and are willing to help out others. Here is the list/map;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452

So if you get a PSA system that is compatible with your vehicle they should be able to 'tell' it about the change of radio, so that it doesn't BEEP at you every few seconds!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 15 Mar 2019, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so on your 2004 model, you have an RD3, a precursor to the RD4. You also have the slightly older multifunction screen.

So the current RD3 unit is controlled by the ECU in the multifunction screen, which authorises the power on and off of the unit and the supplies.

So if you want to fit an aftermarket radio in, you will need to get a special harness to interface with the vehicle and possibly to maintain the steering wheel remote controls for the volume and station / track search etc.

I don't think a later system like the RD4 will work without changing the multifunction screen and programming it in. It might be a bit too new for your vehicle.

If you want a non PSA unit, you'll need to search for an electrical adaptor harness to interface with and RD3 system.

Marc