RD45 questions + Microphone installation C5 X7 + Amplifier installation

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Re: RD45 questions + Microphone installation C5 X7 + Amplifier installation

Post by Xantippa »

5 meters 6mm2 cable is good for 4 x 20 W amp, so you loose very much potential of your amp. Don't try to play it too loud...

I think there must be stock cover for that place, because stock subwoofer is installed to the right side of the boot.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 07:43 5 meters 6mm2 cable is good for 4 x 20 W amp, so you loose very much potential of your amp. Don't try to play it too loud...

I think there must be stock cover for that place, because stock subwoofer is installed to the right side of the boot.

Yes, I am hoping to find the stock cover somewhere. Although I havent foud one yet.

I just noticed you're from Finland, I travelled through Helsinki Vantaa airport but had to stay the night in the airport Holiday Inn. I took a walk to the nearest shopping centre in Vantaa (Jumbo I think it was called) Very nice place, I've never felt more "at home" abroad :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Way to go Ellis. Just recovering from looking at the nightmarish spaghetti junction wiring you found! Useful to see the wiring channels under the floor trims. I didn't have time to explorer there when wiring my cams in, but it's useful to see in car I decide to run them through at a later date.

I'm decorating all week at a relative's bungalow and trying to do my Cornering lights when my back allows!

Looking forward to seeing it all in place😎
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you want somewhere to test the system out Reading Rock Festival is due to start soon. I am sure extra speakers and good amplification would be appreciated!

Nice job, by the way.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 10:14 Way to go Ellis. Just recovering from looking at the nightmarish spaghetti junction wiring you found! Useful to see the wiring channels under the floor trims. I didn't have time to explorer there when wiring my cams in, but it's useful to see in car I decide to run them through at a later date.

I'm decorating all week at a relative's bungalow and trying to do my Cornering lights when my back allows!

Looking forward to seeing it all in place😎

Thanks, yeah it felt good to cleanse the car of such bodgery.... and replace it with my own :rofl2:

I'll be a lot happier once I've got it installed properly and can hide it away with a cover.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Just an interesting observation, If I select reverse with the radio off, I don't get the reversing "beeps" immediately as the radio is off. Once I am in range of an obstacle, only then does the radio signal the amplifier (Via Pin 11 on the RD45) to turn on. So if I'm not careful I could end up backing into something if I'm reversing too quickly with the radio off as there isn't enough time in range of the obstacle to activate the amp.

I have thought of a few solutions.

1. Disconnect the rear speakers from the amplifier and have them handled by the RD45... then use the two spare channels of the amp for a big sub-woofer as Xantippa suggests :-D

2. Connect the amplifier turn on cable to an ignition live instead of the "radio on" signal... this would mean the amplifier is always on with the ignition though.

3. Connect a wire from the reversing bulb (via a diode) to the amplifier turn on terminal, this way the amplifier would always be ready for the "beeps" whenever the car is in reverse.

Personally I think option 3 is the most elegant for now at least.

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 10:48 If you want somewhere to test the system out Reading Rock Festival is due to start soon. I am sure extra speakers and good amplification would be appreciated!

Nice job, by the way.
Sounds good :P but I'll have to wait until I install the new speakers and finish wiring in the amplifier to 12v properly.

Just to note, the factory fit speakers really de benefit from a more powerful amplifier... I'm not sure whether that’s due to the differences between a Class D amp and a Class AB but there seems to be a lot more 'depth' and definitely more punch to the bass.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Or you could follow my example and use the rear bumper as a tactile obstruction locator :( :twisted:
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I'd choose option 1 or 2. There might be some delay before amp starts up, so 3 isn't reliable solution - at least if you're fast driver. :D

More power is always good! Eventhough you don't get distortion with small amp when playing at reasonable level, you loose that punch that makes music more lively and dynamic. Other good way to get more punch is to damp doors so that they don't resonate with bass, and sound comes only from woofers. It's not that hard thing to do when you have to dismantle doors when installing speakers anyway.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

myglaren wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 17:53 Or you could follow my example and use the rear bumper as a tactile obstruction locator :( :twisted:

Haha, that's the backup option... I like it.

Xantippa wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 19:21 I'd choose option 1 or 2. There might be some delay before amp starts up, so 3 isn't reliable solution - at least if you're fast driver. :D

More power is always good! Eventhough you don't get distortion with small amp when playing at reasonable level, you loose that punch that makes music more lively and dynamic. Other good way to get more punch is to damp doors so that they don't resonate with bass, and sound comes only from woofers. It's not that hard thing to do when you have to dismantle doors when installing speakers anyway.
Well, I don't usually slam it in reverse then apply full power :lol: ... The amp takes about 1 second to fire up properly.

You seem to know a lot about car audio, I'm learning a lot.

Yeah, I'll replace the cable with a thicker one but that'll be when I can face dismantling the right hand side of the car again! and after I've done some testing with a current probe and an oscilloscope to make sure that the amp is actually being starved of power. I don't think it is currently with the stock speakers.

Obviously the Amp doesn't pull 50A continuously, so could I not install a large bank of capacitors near the amp to make up for the 6mm^2 cable 8-)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Latest update: Install of Focal PS165's

First job get the door card off, this turned out to be quite simple, after prising the two trim pieces off, unplugging all of the connectors and removing the two large torx screws the door card can be removed with a series of sharp tugs ( :roll: ) starting at the bottom nearest the door hinge working around and up.

Once removed the old speaker and ring can be released by drilling out the rivets

The original speakers were awful to say the least, I think Citroen had a cheek to fit them to a high end model. Pic for comparison:

Contrary to previous wisdom, the space is really limited depth wise by the window mechanism, in addition, the new speaker wouldn’t actually fit in the old ring so I had to cut the back out to make room.

New speaker fitted in the old ring, it would have fit if it wasn’t for the corrugations on the back:

I waterproofed the rear of the speaker as the inside of the door is of course wet (sorry, no pic) but I used a thick damp course like material.

Quick test with the included crossover:

And then finally pop rivet back into place.

Putting the door card back on wasn't too bad once the top was hooked over first. I only managed to break two white clips (new record :rofl2: ) so I'll take that as a success!

Last job now is replacing the factory tweeters but the sound is really good, a big improvement if i do say so myself :lol:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Da iawn Ellis!

Did you find the window went down ok after fitting it all back?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Diolch Marc :)

Yes, they seem to, luckily I didn’t disturb the mechanism. I think I reset the auto close feature by holding the switch in the closed position for about 10 seconds, they all seem to work now either way :-D
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Why did you drill out that riveted plastic thing that original speaker was installed to? I just used dremel to cut out the back of that cup without removing it first from door, and installed new speaker on place of original. I hope your speakers breathe well enough cause you didn't cut that cup open as much as I did. I just left the top part in place so it would protect speaker from water that's coming through window seals.

Focal PS165 seems to be easy to install because it has got separate crossovers for bass and tweeters. It's much easier to use existing speaker wires when crossovers aren't in one box as they usually are.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

I needed to extract the plastic speaker holder in order to get access to the inside of the door to mount the crossover. In addition I had to waterproof the rear of the speaker as the door is damp on the inside.

Yes, having separate crossovers is very convenient, I'm very pleased with the sound, definitely worth the upgrade :D
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

The saga continues....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine ... b06c31b78e

I ordered the 18.8cm radio.

Interestingly it has a third Fakra connector on the rear:

Could this be for DAB?