NG4 Is there any battery inside?

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: RichardW

ZarkoM
My Cars: Peugeot 308 SW

NG4 Is there any battery inside?

Post by ZarkoM » 15 Nov 2017, 15:43

Hi,
I have 7 years old NG4 in my P308. In last days I noticed that after swithing on the unit, clock on my NG4 is reset to 01:00 and display of clock is flashing. This happens usually when I do not use a car for a day or two. After receiving GPS signal, clock is correct again but still flashing until I confirm via SETUP.

I am quite sure that car battery is OK, so I am curious if there is any battery or capacitor inside NG4 (on motherboard perhaps) for maintaining real time clock when engine is not running, that needs replacement.

Kind regards,
Zarko
0x

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: '09 C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
'07 C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
Past:
'76 GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow (yuk)
'79 GS 1220 Geranium Red
'78 CX 2.4 Turbo Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
'84 CX 20 Polar White
'90 XM 2.0 SX Polar White
'93 XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
'94 XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
'98 C15 Romahome White
'99 Xantia 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
'01 C5 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
'05 C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black

Re: NG4 Is there any battery inside?

Post by GiveMeABreak » 15 Nov 2017, 16:21

Hi Zarko and welcome to the Forum.

There is no battery backup inside the NG4. If you have the Services Module, the battery backup function there is for the emergency call function, powering the microphone and for making the actual call in case the battery + is not available (after an accident for example).

The settings are retained in the unit and the BSI. A weak car battery can often trigger the situation described (the same as disconnecting the battery). I find mine does this on occasion and I just go in and confirm the date and time and that's the issue over. I know it can be inconvenient - but I just live with it. I should say that I have replaced my hard drive with a Compact Flash unit (to preserve the Hard Drive) and the flashing time issue has occurred more since doing this last year.

I also replaced my battery on my X7 with an AGM battery when I got her, and I believe that the car isn't completely happy with it (I don't have a Stop Start vehicle). I cannot configure the higher capacity battery in the BSI as it is limited to the 3 levels of battery allowed. That, and the battery charge staus module may also be the reason why I only ever get about 2 minutes of audio use on the NG4 before Economy mode kicks in - regardless of whether the battery is fully charged or has been on a long run.

I may try an experiment and replace it with a standard non AGM battery and see if that makes a difference at some point though.
0x
Marc

ZarkoM
My Cars: Peugeot 308 SW

Post by ZarkoM » 15 Nov 2017, 17:49

Hi Marc,
Thanks for quick response. If it is so, I'll try to adapt to a new functionality :-) - confirming clock.

Zarko
0x

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: '09 C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
'07 C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
Past:
'76 GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow (yuk)
'79 GS 1220 Geranium Red
'78 CX 2.4 Turbo Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
'84 CX 20 Polar White
'90 XM 2.0 SX Polar White
'93 XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
'94 XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
'98 C15 Romahome White
'99 Xantia 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
'01 C5 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
'05 C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black

Post by GiveMeABreak » 15 Nov 2017, 17:51

Yes, if you just hit the SETUP and go to the Date Time setting, go in and confirm it should stop it flashing.
0x
Marc