2011 C5 Tourer multifunction screen

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2011 C5 Tourer multifunction screen

Post by GiveMeABreak » 06 Mar 2017, 11:05

I've had a good long look at many types, but they don't match the specs or come close - they are a level above that - take the HGST Endurastar - these are above the Travelstar drives used in a lot of their laptops. The other thing is that the speed needs to be 4200 RPM. The only ones that seem to be available are from dodgy companies in the USA where prices are typically $190 plus shipping of $60 - and there is no guarantee that it is genuine or new as the drives are discontinued. People with these and similar systems in Mercedes and BMW got wise and bought up spares, so good ones are rare to come buy. So I'm just going to get the imaging done for now and then I'll keep looking and experimenting with drives when I get the time. :roll:

Dublin_C5

Post by Dublin_C5 » 06 Mar 2017, 12:21

Hi I just spoke with a local citroen dealers service dept. They started quoting silly money for replacement...dont do repairs only replacement of whole head unit!!!!

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak » 06 Mar 2017, 12:29

I had a feeling they would say that - it's a throwaway society and getting worse not better! Its probably only the HDD! That's why a lot of people are trying to undertake a backup just in case - as it is not easy to just get a new HDD with the OS on and coded to your vehicle. For a system that was nearly a £2k option.... silly.

Dublin_C5

Post by Dublin_C5 » 20 Mar 2017, 22:05

Hi Marc,
just an update on the headunit.I took it to the dealer I got it from.They confirmed it wasnt operational.So they popped it off to Clarion and 1 week later I have it back fully operational at a cost of 570 Euros. I got no info on what the fault was just that it was repaired I have asked them to try get details and forward them to me...for my own need to know.
Anyways...back in action and once again thanks for all your help
regards
Alan

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak » 20 Mar 2017, 23:00

That's great news Alan. I knew that the Clarion service centre had a contract to repair the Magneti Marelli units, but wasn't sure about the NG4s. I knew it was about 500 Euros a while back in France for repairs - so seems about right. Hopefully they will have updated it to the latest firmware for you too. I'm in the process of writing up about the recent conversion I have done on my NG4 unit to replace the HDD with a Compact Flash Card and Adapter, so I can keep the HDD safely stored away. I also have an image of the working drive too, just as an extra backup. It's all completed now, so I'll post up the update when I've finished. Hopefully this might help others take some preventative action in case their drive is on the way out!

Thanks for updating us anyway.