C5 Jukebox problem with track order

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

splinternet
My Cars: Currently:
59-plate C5 Mk III 3.0 HDi Tourer
56-plate C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi EGS
53-plate Saxo 1.1 Desire
Previous:
Xantia, ZX, 2CV, Mehari

C5 Jukebox problem with track order

Post by splinternet »

When copying (ripping?) CDs to the Jukebox of my C5 Mk III 59-plate, for some CDs it picks up the name of each track, whereas for others it doesn't (it calls them Track1, Track2, etc...). Whilst with the latter it stores the tracks in the same order they're in on the CD (although you don't know the name of the tracks), annoyingly and puzzlingly, for the former, it stores the tracks (and plays them back) in alphabetical order ! Holy moly - is this working as designed? In which case, was it designed by a moron?

I'm on my second Jukebox now, and this behavior is common across both units.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: C5 Jukebox problem with track order

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

splinternet wrote:When copying (ripping?) CDs to the Jukebox of my C5 Mk III 59-plate,...
Wow the C5 has room for a jukebox! No problems with names on tracks with this one...a biro and a bit of paper usually does the trick :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

splinternet wrote:When copying (ripping?) CDs to the Jukebox of my C5 Mk III 59-plate, for some CDs it picks up the name of each track, whereas for others it doesn't (it calls them Track1, Track2, etc...). Whilst with the latter it stores the tracks in the same order they're in on the CD (although you don't know the name of the tracks), annoyingly and puzzlingly, for the former, it stores the tracks (and plays them back) in alphabetical order ! Holy moly - is this working as designed? In which case, was it designed by a moron?
What system have you got in yours? Navidrive 3D or RT6 ....?
Regarding the CDs I guess it will depend on the actual CD itself and whether the track information is embedded on the commercial CD - this could depend on the age of the CD. When you rip a CD on your PC, it usually connects to an internet service database to identify the album and then downloads the artwork and track names if any of these are missing.
If you have an older CD that doesn't have this info encoded, then your car can't connect up to the net (yet :-D ) and identify the tracks, so lists them as you have said.

I have the Navidrive 3D system with Jukebox and the SD card slot at the bottom of the unit. I never use the Jukebox function for a very good reason. As you may / may not know, your system will have a hard drive installed - the disk is generally partitioned into 4 sections - Application Software, Maps, Phonebook and a 10GB Music partition as a general guide (although other models may have increased this). These Hard Drives are designed to withstand high tolerances of heat and cold, and have a 40 pin PATA interface and generally spin at about 4200 RPM. These drives, although robust are very hard to come buy now and very difficult to buy new - if you can get one. Using the drive to play music will invariably increase the disk activity and the risk of damage becomes greater if you go over a bad pothole. There have been people that have rendered their system useless, requiring a new drive and then been shocked at the £££££s the dealer will charge to provide a new disk if at all.

I'm in the process of trying to acquire an identical new drive that I can make a clone of my original - and keep that safe in case it does at some point go toes up. :roll:

With the Navidrive 3D system, I use the SD card to store MP3s ripped from my PC and transferred to the card. A 32 GB card will hold 3 times as much as you can store on the 10GB Jukebox and contains all the track names as usual - with the added feature that you can create your own folders on the PC and put the music where you want and delete all the naff tracks!

A bit more info than you wanted I apologise - but thought it might be worth a mention. :-D

@ NewcastleFalcon Neil: I'm sure that's what the boy racers have in their boots!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
splinternet
My Cars: Currently:
59-plate C5 Mk III 3.0 HDi Tourer
56-plate C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi EGS
53-plate Saxo 1.1 Desire
Previous:
Xantia, ZX, 2CV, Mehari

Post by splinternet »

Hi Marc, no need to apologise for the length of your post, it was all very interesting. I've got the NaviDrive. Regarding the track info, it doesn't seem to depend on the age of the CD, with new CDs some are listed others not, I'm more frustrated that those which are are organized into alphabetical order. I had the drive replaced a year ago under (extended) warranty as it refused to play some CDs. The new one is better in this respect but the alphabetical order problem is the same with the new one as well as the old one. The user interface e.g. entering the name of the album, is pedantic. Thanks for the tip about SD cards, I'll give it a try. Guy.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Of course the other great thing with the SD card is there are no moving parts - so with less disk activity, the unit should remain cooler. You just have to play a DVD and see how hot the unit gets! Regarding the SD card - I have a 32GB SD HC in there and haven't managed to fill half this yet. I haven't tried anything bigger, but don't see an issue if I did want to use a bigger size. It will play WMA files too. If you have iTunes you can just right click on any track and create am MP3 version, or rip your CDs again using Media player or similar - the system will play higher quality MP3s too, configurable in the ripping settings - but I think having greater control over creating the folders is a plus and invaluable if you want to make your own compilation folders.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc