Memory loss 2008 X7 Exclusive

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Majanor
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xantia VSX turbo diesel 1993
ZX 1.9 Normally asperated
C5 VTR Hdi 2003
C5 Exclusive 2.0 2008 just acquired
Clio 2003
C4 VTR 1.6Hdi 2011- sons car

Re: Memory loss 2008 X7 Exclusive

Post by Majanor »

Firmware version
8.20.G.R3
So not exactly up to date, phone dealer in morning and order. It's not exactly a Kings ransom! Pleasent change there 😉
Will keep you posted, and thanks to all. There is no such thing as too much information, problems start when it gets filtered. Either consciously or unconsciously
Majanor
(Donor 2021)
C5 VTR Hdi 2003
Clio 2003

Post by Majanor »

So cd safely ordered from main dealer in Belfast, took a while as guy was totally unfamiliar with request, plus he had a few extra key strokes to do as they had never ordered this particular one before!. He did confirm version number and cost of £7.40 so reasonably sure he didn't mess it up.
Am checking on forum for method for install, engine running etc. Anything I should be especially aware of ?
All words of wisdom and guidance gratefully accepted
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes
  • First, make sure you remove the SIM card from the Unit, as any incoming call can interrupt the update and brick it.
  • Allow plenty of time, never update it when you need to be somewhere in a rush as the update can take time.
  • Get comfortable, as it is not recommended to open doors, windows or play with switches when updating, because this can affect the data network.
  • Always have the engine running during the update and never switch it off, as the car may go into economy mode and brick the unit.
  • Never eject the CD or try and restart or abort the update. If it looks like it isn’t doing anything, that is normal. The system can restart several times during a firmware update. Leave it until it has finished and you see the new logo at boot, or when it says it has finished.
  • Last, but not least, Pray [-o<
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Oh, and take a good book with you, to while away the time!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Majanor
(Donor 2021)
C5 VTR Hdi 2003
Clio 2003

Post by Majanor »

Thanks for all the help, especially about the book.lol. Whole thing has been put on hold as all orders to dealer had been postponed for 1 day, should be there tomorrow. Will phone first to save another wasted journey. Now Sunday looks favourite, if I can finish MOT prep on Mk 1 C5 in time. Update you later
Majanor
(Donor 2021)
C5 VTR Hdi 2003
Clio 2003

Post by Majanor »

So all went well, took 21mins which I thought was a bit quick as CD suggested 30-40 mins.Didnt get far into my book, barely finished my mug of tea and biscuits. By the way took the precaution of having enough fuel 😊
Sometimes it's better more often not, but and this might mean something or not...but when I turn on ignition I nearly always get told Economy Mode Active. Is this normal or is something not shutting down and starting the economy shut down timer.
All thoughts welcome
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your Economy mode is something you'll have to live with, as unlike earlier C5s the time before Economy Mode engages is controlled by the BSI from information it received from a little unit you have called the Battery Charge Status Unit attached to the negative battery terminal.

This little device monitors the charge in the battery, the temperature and can trigger the LIN to 'poll' the battery at certain intervals when the car is asleep to determine charge levels. All this info will determine how long you can operate equipment without the engine running.

The C5 and especially the X7 with Hydraulic suspension is very battery power hungry, with some systems actively monitoring the car even when it is shut down.
  • It starts the suspension pump going when the car is unlocked;
  • There is the alarm, the ultrasonic detection;
  • The starting of the Electro Hydraulic Power Steering pump at ignition on;
  • Plus in your case you have the RT4 telematics system, which has to write any data to the hard drive when the ignition is switched off;
  • Plus the internal fan inside the RT4 also has to cool the unit down when the engine is stopped;
  • Oh and of course there is the monitoring of whether the fuel flap is opened for fuelling to determine if fuel has been added to the tank for the purposes of calculating the additive dosing, with the engine ECU also staying active to memorise the fuel level in the tank before stopping and after fuelling;
  • The TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) also 'polls' the sensors to determine the pressures and temperatures periodically to determine pressures;
  • Plus the various ECUs that power down when they've finished sending their data to the other systems;
  • You might hear a whirring noise from the engine periodically when switching the engine off - that is the EGR electrovalve testing itself / returning the butterfly control to 'closed' at rest.
These are just a few things to highlight what the X7 does without the engine running, so it is imperative to have a good battery in good order. I change mine whenever I get acquire a C5 so I know it is new. But I certainly would change mine no later than every 5 years - depending on usage. A poor battery will almost certainly contribute to electrical glitches when it's in a weakened state.

A tip also for you - if you ever charge the battery, it is recommended that it is charged on the vehicle - but make sure that you attach the negative charging lead BEFORE the Battery Charge Status Unit, not directly onto the negative terminal. This is so the unit knows it is being charged and can factor that into any data it sends the BSI.

Here;s a few pics of this magic unit:
X7 Batt Charge Status Module.PNG
X7-Charge-Status-Module.png
Always attach the battery charger negative clamp to 'a' on the Battery Charge Status Unit when charging.Here it is on the Battery. (and that's copper grease by the way not rust :-D )

Marc
Majanor
(Donor 2021)
C5 VTR Hdi 2003
Clio 2003

Post by Majanor »

Phew, not much happening then!. Have noticed battery status unit on sons C4. Apparently a new battery was fitted recently as was to my mk1 C5, maybe a swop might be in order as my one is a known age (3mths) and quality.
Deeply in your debt for info, I do like to know how things work.😃
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Majanor wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 07:30... I do like to know how things work.😃
Then you're in the right place. Most of us here like to know what's going on behind the scenes.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Majanor wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 07:30 Phew, not much happening then!. Have noticed battery status unit on sons C4. Apparently a new battery was fitted recently as was to my mk1 C5, maybe a swop might be in order as my one is a known age (3mths) and quality.
Deeply in your debt for info, I do like to know how things work.😃
Amongst all the babble above, I completely forgot to mention Economy Mode in practice :-D

You will never get more than 30 minutes of power after the engine is switched off.

Once the system goes into economy mode, you need to start the engine to use any accessories. The time you then get before economy mode is engaged again is supposed to be double the time the engine has been running, up to the maximum 30 minutes.

However, the amount of time you actually get for the use of accessories after you switch the engine off is only theoretical as in practice, it never seems to be anywhere near this. In my case, I only get a few minutes tops for the radio, regardless of the battery status and even when it has just been charged. So whether it is because I have an AGM battery fitted or an over-stingy Battery Charge Status Unit (they were replaced with a different version early on in the run), I can't say, but it doesn't bother me to be honest.

Marc