dropped valve??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bad driver
My Cars:

dropped valve??

Post by bad driver »

306td, pre97. Just had the head skimmed / shimmed / new seals etc. Anyway the car starts up fine but there is a very loud ticking coming from the head, if I rev it then it turns into a clatter, the engine loses all power and as the revs die down it seems to rectify itself. I'm guessing its a valve hitting. The timing is spot on and everything else seems fine. Just wanted some second opinions before I go pulling the cylinder head off again.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I would have thought a valve hitting a piston would definitely bend, resulting in permanent rough running. I remember years ago the early Ford Pinto engines suffered oil starvation to the cam and these made a similar noise. I'm just wondering if you've had work done is there a possibility an oilway is partially blocked?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Did you measure the piston protrusion and fit a thicker gasket to compensate for the head skim? The pistons sit slightly proud of the block and as you have skimmed the head, the valves sit closer to the pistons. Could be your problem. The head gaskets are available from 1.49m/m to 1.73m/m if it's an XUD unit.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

he head gasket has gone from a 1 notch to a 3 notch to compensate. The valves were also reseated so that side of things shouldnt be an issue. I spoke to the guys that done the headwork and they reckon most likely cause is due to the head sitting in a shed for a few weeks after the work there has been a build of dry dirt on the open valve causing it to stick a bit. Anyway after the original post I hadnt tried starting the car for a couple of days. Then when I needed to check a few things and move the car slightly I thought I would risk starting it. The problem seems to of gone by itself. This seems to fit with what the guys said as after the original run the oil will of had time to penetrate any dirt build. It still has quite a loud ticking noise but it doesnt seem to hamper the power in anyway, or the idle.