306 HDi handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IROBOT
My Cars:

306 HDi handbrake

Post by IROBOT »

Hi everyone this is my first post and cry for help
My 306 handbrake has always been poor requiring a real good pull to hold the car on a slope and i leave it in gear just in case. Last year it passed the MOT ok. Its just failed the MOT due to low handbrake efficiency. The tester said it was due to worn discs and pads. I have changed these (the old ones looked ok to me) and the result is just as bad if not worse. I have adjusted the cable with no improvement. The foot brake works ok. My next move will be to change the cables incase one is stretching as there does seem a lot of movement on the HBlever
Has anyone any advice to offer before I shell out more cash?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check that the levers on the calipers return fully to their stops, unhook the cables to make sure, if they are part way through their travel due to incorrect cable adjustment there will be a reduced amount of leverage.
While the cables are unhooked push and pull on the inner cable, it should move freely inside its outer sheath, if they do they are ok.
Dave
IROBOT
My Cars:

Post by IROBOT »

Thanks Dave,I am just off to try your suggestion. I did slack off the cable adjustment, maybe I didnt do it enough.
IROBOT
My Cars:

Post by IROBOT »

Hi Dave I disconnected the cables - both free. Pumped the brakes then reconnected the brake cables and took the slack out. Is that it or should I adjust the cable tension so that the brake just binds and then back off a bit?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Cables should be adjusted so that the handbrake lever moves about 1/2 inch before the cables start to move, the cables must be completely at rest when the brake is off.
Dave
IROBOT
My Cars:

Post by IROBOT »

Thanks Dave
Sorry about the delay in returning.
I did as you suggested and it passed the MOT. The handbrake is still poor though, it has been since we got it. I presume its just a rubbish design. Its never parked out of gear
Thanks again
Irobot