309 power loss and stalling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveP

309 power loss and stalling

Post by SteveP »

My 309 is a 1993 1.6 auto with Magneti Marelli G6 engine management. It runs fine most of the time but about once every month or two it suddenly loses power and stalls. Always restarts OK. Sometimes fault code 33 MAP sensor is stored, but voltage checks on this at idle and engine stopped are within limits. Could this code be caused by a misfire causing spitting back into the inlet manifold? I've heard that Sagem coil packs often fail on 106's. My 309 also has a Sagem coil pack. Could this be the cause of the problem? Coil resistances measure 0.8 ohms on both primaries and 7000 ohms on both secondaries (cold). Also just found the suppressor missing from the LT side of the coil pack. Could this result in interference affecting the engine management system? Your suggestions would be appreciated.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Does it happen year round?
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Yes, It seems to be completely random.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

STOP!!!! locate that pesky map sensor and clean it out. It'll be full of oil residue. Over time the sensor becomes clogged with oil vapour. When the engine is hot the sensor is ok but every now and then as you pull up at the lights or so it'll just cut out. Coil pack should be replaced if this dosen't do the trick. My first Xsara had all the coil, plugs, leads, throttle body out and replaced over 2 months. In the end a £1.20 petrol filter fitted in line to the map sensor and a good clean out by placing on a radiator over night with some paper towel under neath sorted this annoying problem. Dont clean with carb cleaner as this is a litle too harsh. Let us know how you get on.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Thanks, Stuart, I'll try that and see how it goes.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Tried putting the MAP sensor on a radiator overnight but no sign of residue coming out, so I've replaced the coil pack. Seems OK so far but it's only been a couple of weeks - probably needs a few months to tell if it's fixed.