106 Zest 1.1 won't start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Smurf
My Cars:

106 Zest 1.1 won't start

Post by Smurf »

My son's 106 S reg Zest 1.1 will not start. It has been giving problems for a few weeks now. Not all of the time but just now and again. The battery is fine and turns the engin well. Now there is no spark at all. I have changed the crank sensor and the ignition coil but to no avail. There is still no spark.
When the car was only acting up, after it was finally started it would run fine. But al[:(]as, it will not even start now.
Any ideas please.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Yes I had this exact same problem with an R Plate 98 106 1.1 for 4 months. After fitting some monitor LED's I discovered the Imobiliser was not being satisfied and there was a known fault with 98/99 year production Imobiliser aerials which is a black pastic overcoat for the ignition barrel. Cost £14.08 Part number 616050 and the lower cowl can be removed without taking the steering off although a bit tight. Changed the unit and has been perfect for 3 months. When the car decides to start it runs berfectly immediately no coughing or spluttering or running rich is that correct. email me if you require any more info. The other possibility is the main relay fault under the ECU main ignition. Regards Peter
Smurf
My Cars:

Post by Smurf »

[:)]Thanks Peter. Yes the fault seems to be the same as yours.
I have sent you a seperate Email.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

I have not received it. Regards Peter
Smurf
My Cars:

Post by Smurf »

Sorry Peter. I sent an mail via this page but it seems that it has not worked.
Your problem does sound the same as mine. Indeed once started the car runs fine. I was not aware however that this model had an immobiliser. I will investigate. As you probably guessed, I do not have a manual fo this car. Where is the main relay and what is the RL number please.
We are a Peugeot family. I own a 406TD, the wife a 306, the daughter a 206 and the son owns the peskie 106. This is the only one without a manual. (Why can't offspring fix their own cars like we had to?)
Smurf
My Cars:

Post by Smurf »

[:D]Peter you are a star.
I have just taken the aerial off the ignition barrel, removed the connector then refitted it all again. Guess what. It started first key. I will now get a new aerial. Is it only a Peugeot part or is it available from a factors.
Thanks for your help. I would never have found the problem on my own.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
This 106 uses a transponder key imobiliser, There is a small chip in the key, without the correctly coded key the car wont start.
The aerial looks for the correct code from the key when you go to start the car.
Also if you ever lose a key, It can be removed from the cars memory so it can never be used to start the car again, But it will still work the locks.
The imobiliser aerial failing as it gets older is a known fault & the part was upgraded around the end of october 1998.
Smurf
My Cars:

Post by Smurf »

Thanks Lee. Whith the help of Peter (above)I have found the problem. It is the imobiliser aerial. It is working at the moment but I will get a new one today.
Treble-Seven

Post by Treble-Seven »

Hi,just read the article on 106 Zest 1.1 starting problem .I have had this problem for approx 12 months now ,so dammed annoying !.
I am going to replace this part and I shall report back my findings.