405 doors

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

405 doors

Post by demag »

I've noticed the front doors are a bit sticky and theres some hinge play. I've also noticed that the hinges are welded!
Do I lower the door locks, fit new hinge pins or is there a secret Knack to lining the doors up? 3"x2" lever maybe? [:I]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

What do you know about the history of this car ?
After reading this and your other "Exhaust Fumes" thread, I'd be wanting to check the HPI details, and look for welds half way along the car......
KEITHC
My Cars:

Post by KEITHC »

Fit new hinge pins, available qiute cheeply from Peugeot (GSF may also supply). You will need a torq bit to unscrew the old ones. The pins are probably made soft ensuring that they/not the hinges wear.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

mbunting don't be bashful mate, if you don't want me on the forum just say so. I asked what I thought are a couple of reasonable questions and you come back and attack me!
This is a 100,000 mile car we're talking about here. It's not imaculate but there's no rot, the body and interior are nice and no, there aren't any welds down the middle!
I thought I left the my dads bigger than your dad mentality back in infant scool, obviously I was wrong. It's alive and kicking hard in here.
I am also a member of a Nissan discussion forum based in USA and if anyone asks on there, people are falling over themselves to help each other, not saying well tough you shouldn't have bought it!
Thanks for your help KEITHC, appreciated.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Don't worry about comments like that demag. If you are happy with the car and it only needs a couple of tweaks to get it right then you got a good deal.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The first 18 months approx production of 405s had hinges that had bolts in the doors & could be adjusted easily.
Peugeot then changed this to welded hinges.
Before you try & unscrew the hinge pin, give it a good soak over a few days with WD40 or similar to help free it off.
The hinge pin has a few threads under the head & they can snap there very easily, Then its a knightmare to get them out!
On my parents 405, The door ended up coming off to get the snapped hinge pin out ( 1988 vintage so it had bolted hinges )
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Also if you want to adjust the door shut afterwards, Just undo the torx screws slightly on the catch, Just enough so you can move it with firmish pressure.
Move the catch as far as possible outwards & then gently shut the door.
Push the door gently untill its level & your happy with the appearence of the door shut.
Open the door & tighten the screws back up.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Thanks lads,
I'm getting my faith back[:)]
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Just ask about any 405 problems & ill try to help you.
My parents had one & I am on my second one, So I think ive seen most common faults, lol
Just ask, we are a friendly bunch here.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Since when do my genuine comments about doors and a boot become an attack on you ?
If you're having the door problems, and the door hinge has been welded ( at such a low mileage, and it's not even a Xantia ), and the boot doesn't shut properly
QUOTE: Thanks, lads, the exhaust does seem ok but the tailgate is a bit strange the way it shuts so I'll check it out at the weekend
You obviously haven't had the car from new
QUOTE: I've also noticed that the hinges are welded!
All I'm saying, is that if I were you, I'd be checking out the structure and alignment of the car, along with it's past history before I considered doing any work on it !
No insults given, implied, or indended, just honest considered opinion. If you find that offensive, then maybe you should take the car to a garage rather than ask for help and opinions ?
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Ok point taken, lets take a step back then.
The car has done 104k, "N" reg. '96. It had one owner before me. I bought it last week. It came at a good price so I can't complain. The engine is a stormer, once it gets on the turbo in third it just takes off. I must say though with fuel prices how they are that is not my normal style of driving. It's a tidy car and if I have to do a bit of work on it I don't mind.
The exhaust seems sound, but the tailgate needs a bit of a slam, but according to Haynes should adjust to close with firm pressure. The reason the hinges are welded is because that is how Peugeot made them. I cannot see any adjustment at all and the answer supplied by PowerLee would confirm that. The only thing that appears to be missing inside is the two plastic twist clips that hold the side trim by the rear lights. The seats and carpets really are immaculate, with no rips, tears or holes any where and very comfortable.
Everything appears to work including aircon, alarm and central locking apart from the O/S/R door which opens but doesn't lock with C/L. For its age the car is fairly honest and has not been made to look like a dogs dinner. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage and with the present weather play has been stopped due to rain. My drive is taken up by my other car which is a 97 Nissan Primera Turbo Diesel which I have uprated with a "Tunit" module from Bromley's. It is now nearly as fast as the Peugeot, and before you ask what's wrong with the engine. The answer is nothing, they made em like that, slooow. Read the Parkers review page and they confirm it, if you like Primera's buy a petrol. Or better still don't buy one at all unless your an electronics wizz.
And yes, I do appreciate the qualities of Citroen, having been a member of the owners club for many years. And having owned one of the original CX2000's, a 1.4 BX Leader (lovely car), an old 4 speed DS Special, a later 5 speed model with the uprated engine, and a beatiful maroon DS23 Pallas (carburetor model). Then I got married.
I did try a Xantia but couldn't take to it. I didn't like the long bonnet disappearing out of view.
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Ive never looked at adjusting an estate tailgate, Ive got a saloon myself & the boot lid is adjustable at the catch bolted onto the bodyshell.
If the 2 x bolts are undone slightly the catch can be moved around to help adjust the boot shut, Have a look,The estate might be the same.
Also the o/s/r door that doesnt lock with the central locking, Check if it can or cant be opened when you lock the car, The reason I say this is because the little clip on the lock buttons break & give the impression the door isnt locking when it actulay is.
Please also check the alarm is really working, These 405 alarms always go wrong & a lot of the time get switched off & give the impression they are working.
Lock the car with the remote, wait 30 seconds & then unlock the car using the key in the door lock & listen for the siren.