306TD cold start (not glowplugs)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

306TD cold start (not glowplugs)

Post by rossd »

Hi all!
Has anybody got and idea what would cause a rough cold start in the morning apart from an air leak or duff glowplugs? I've checked all of the above, (glowplugs were new Bosch jobbies in April and still work ok) but it still misfires for a couple of seconds and belches out white smoke on a cold start.
Its on 109K on the original injectors, do you think one or more could be starting to stick?
I use Millers additive regularly and have checked the fuel filter for water.
Its not a problem to me as such, but just want to get your opinions just to make sure there isnt a more serious underlying problem.
Edit: Its fine after the initial 2 seconds or so and always fires first go on a coldstart, it just misses too!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Check the valve clearances - sometimes the exhausts receed a bit a don't help compression on cold starts. Otherwise could be a duff injector, or maybe the advance on the pump is not working quite as it should. Try waiting another 4 seconds after the glow plug light goes out - this sometimes helps. However, if this is the only bother at 110k I'd just live with it. Oh, I do, as my Xantia is just like that!
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

My 306td was exhibiting similar problems prior to the head gasket failing. Check the radiator for back pressure when the engine is cold, preferably in the morning.
Yours is in the area covered for this problem.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Do you know the valve clearances didnt enter my head, I quickly checked them at the last service and yes one of the exhaust ones was pretty tight (prob a bit tighter than even the inlet should be). Right, job for next service then!! Does anybody know where I can get the little shims, obviously I'll have to work out which ones I need first. Do GSF do them?
Kevin: No backpressure in Rad, cooling system is all as it should be, thank god!
Cheers
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I'd suggest it may need the fuel advance adjusted, as white smoke means too much air, not enough fuel.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

It only puffs out a bit of white smoke when it missfires, I think the advance is fine. (I would reckon its out if it was puffing out white smoke but firing on all cylinders)
KEITHC
My Cars:

Post by KEITHC »

I seem to remember that it is a cam out job (205D miss-firing from cold but clearing within a minute or so), and you will need a micrometer to measure them, therefore not quite so easy. If GSF do not do shims, try your local engine re-conditioners, mine came from this source (exchanged for a few pounds), you may also get away with swapping them around.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, I realise its a cam out job, hence it can wait until its next service. Got a micrometer also, so its just going to be a few hours of fun.... or not. It seems one or more of the exhaust valves have closed slightly, so once this is sorted it should purr like a kitten (Or in the XUD's case, rattle like a can full of nails)
Cheers!
Ross