106 overheating

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gradeafailure
My Cars:

106 overheating

Post by gradeafailure »

I've had a look at the other threads on this topic but none of them seems to quite apply here. my sister has a 1.1 petrol 106 which doesn't have a coolant temp gauge, just a light - which is a bit of a pain - and it keeps overheating and loosing coolant through the pressure cap due to the system over-pressurising. i've had the thermostat out and it's opening fine, but there never seems to be any heat from the heater inside the car. I'm really hoping it's not a blocked heater matrix, just an airlock in the system, but which is most likely? The fan also isn't coming on as the temp rises; I'm due to check the switch this week - are they particularly known for failing?
cheers for any advice guys!
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Over heating but no air in heater is often a sign that there is air in the system, but the coolant pressurising is a sign of a shot head gasket.I would bleed the cooling system properly by using the bleed screws, make totally sure that there is no air in the system and see if it still pressurises. If it does then i am afraid the headgasket has gone.