406TD stop warning light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sav
My Cars:

406TD stop warning light

Post by sav »

Hi,
Just bought a 97 r plate 406 2.1 Td and enjoying the car. However, when driving the STOP light will randomly illuminate for a few seconds and then go out. This re-occurs intermittently and may not happen for 50-100 miles but then starts again. Car seems to drive fine otherwise and levels of coolant and oil are topped-up (oil maybe alittle high). Could break fluid level be a culprit. Wiring diagram in manual suggests light may be linked to brake resevoir/oil pressure/temp sensor and even the screen wash bottle??? Any possible causes? Manual suggests linked to low engine oil pressure but that light has never come on. Loose connection somewhere or faulty ECU? Can this be read by a dealer. Have a 3 month warranty on the car but whilst its booked into the garage (not Peugeot) friday it may not show up when tested to fix. Are there relays/fuses/conections i can check myself.
Any help greatly appreciated.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Sounds like a lose connection to me.
The STOP light will come on with the High temperature warning light, Low brake fluid light, Low oil pressure light.
Do the cooling fans start running when the STOP light comes on?
If yes,I would clean the Brown 2 terminal plug attached to the thermostat housing & make sure the terminals have a good connection because this is a comman problem on Pugs.
sav
My Cars:

Post by sav »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PowerLee</i>

Hi
Sounds like a lose connection to me.
The STOP light will come on with the High temperature warning light, Low brake fluid light, Low oil pressure light.
Do the cooling fans start running when the STOP light comes on?
If yes,I would clean the Brown 2 terminal plug attached to the thermostat housing & make sure the terminals have a good connection because this is a comman problem on Pugs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Cheers Mate,
No light in last 100 miles and no high speed fan which did come on during the last episode which i thought was alittle strange. All levels are topped up and only screen wash has been filled since last occurrence. Drives well otherwise. Will check connector and clean up. Intermittent wipe also tempermental but can live with that. Thanks for the info and wil report back if re-occurs.
cheers [:)]
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If the fans come on with the STOP light then it is the Brown 2 pin connector plug that needs cleaning next to the thermostat, If that doesnt sort it then a new Brown temperature sensor is needed, just screws in the housing.