L reg Peugeot 306 XR

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mr cat
My Cars:

L reg Peugeot 306 XR

Post by mr cat »

I've had a few problems with my L reg 306 XR - I've only had it for about 7 months, and a few months ago sometimes when I put the key in, I wasn't able to turn it...I'm a full member of the RAC so, I rang them, the first guy came out (bit of a cowboy) and he didn't have a clue what was going on, finally it worked and he blamed my immobiliser! but it worked in the end, a week later it happened again, I again rang them and this other guy came out and he said that either my barrel or key was wearing out...a few quirts of wd40 later it was fine, but I originally had the problem that when the key was able to turn, there was nothing from the engine...someone on another forum did also mention that I should try turning the streering wheel a bit, this normally helps with the key getting stuck...
but this morning, I was coming to work, and i stopped off for a newspaper - when I tried to start the car, I was able to turn the key, but the engine was dead...
when the RAC guy came out, he wasn't too sure what was wrong, but kept mentioning that I need a new battery..! (but after watching that program some (watchdog?) time ago about the RAC guys selling you batterys at the drop of a hat I thought he was just trying it on...), but as it happens he suggested that I drove to the local garage (he followed me) and I got a battery which he fitted and car all ok for now....very strange!
any ideas about this one...?
mr cat
My Cars:

Post by mr cat »

another quick query - because I replaced the battery the code for the stereo has reset...I bought the car second hand and there was no code supplied, anyway I can get a hold of it..? are they all the same etc..?
cheers
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If the radio is the original unit your local main Pug dealer can give you the code. You need to take proof of ownership and he will tap the cars details in the computer and this should give you the code. Mate of mine had his this way no charge. As for the other queery, not to sure but sounds as though you have a bad connection in the ignition lock some where, the new battery may have enough power to make a good connection.