Peugeot XD2 engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bikeboyz
My Cars:

Peugeot XD2 engine

Post by bikeboyz »

The more I read the comic books by Haynes the more confused I get! My "old girl" as its becoming known, the 504 Diesel saloon has the XD2 engine. I don't think its anyware near original as the cylinder head is stamped XD2S, which according to Mr Hayes in one book is a turbo verson...but I dont have a turbo! The alternator is on the opposite side of the engine to all their photos. The more I dig it seems I have a 505 spec engine. Anybody know anymore about the differences in 505/504 2.3D? It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but I am planning on putting together an artical for a magazine such as practical classic, and a show plate, and picked brains are welcome!
My Cars:

Post by 35568968 »

I do know one thing, the old siera (mark2 style) had a 2.3 engine non turbo, and that was a peugeot engine... don't know if that's any help or not...
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The 604 had this engine too, I thought the only 505 TD was the 2.5 but possibly the early versions were 2.3. With a XD2S head permormance would be even more plodding than it should be as the turbo had a lower compression ratio, made by giving the head more volume.
Yep, the Sierra had the 2.3 non turbo and the Grananda had the 2.5 turbo. Have you got the Haynes Peugeot Diesel Engine book which covers the 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5 engines, its pretty good for a haynes comic.
Another good source of information is the Peugeot_L group on Yahoo! Groups, a search through their archives is well worth it!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Yeah I read the compression ratio was something like 22:1 for non turbo and 21:1 for turbo. Not sure how much performance it will loose, but then again it is never going to be a racer, and I don't really have plans to race it along the motorways!