Broken brakes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Broken brakes

Post by Pug106Dave »

After being sat for 2 weeks while I've been on holiday I moved my 106. There was a clunk from the rear brakes as I expected, as the handbrake released. Everything was then fine for about 40 miles till I put the handbrake on at a junction and it went right up, bugger I thought one of the cables has snapped after being seized. but i soon noticed the the footbrake was not responding as it usually does! Which did rather worry me.
The footbrake does work, but the travel is much greater than it was, and it seems to be lighter and have less bite! The handbrake is definetly bust on 1 side.
I crawled the rest of my way home and am going to get a big socket so i can take the drum off.
Any ideas why the handbrake seizing/snapping would cause the footbrake to break in this way?
Dave
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Self adjusters not working, and the slack in the system was being compensated for by adjusting the handbrake cable instead of sorting the self adjusters.
When the cable snapped, instead of falling back to the correctly adjusted stops (which is difficult if they're not working), they fell back to the start of the travel.
Get the self adjusters sorted when you change the cable. You may be able to encourage them to move by tweaking the ratchet on the adjuster through one of the bolt holes in the drum.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yep this happened to me on the way home from work one day, except on mine the rear brake shoes had sheared away from the backing plate on one side and left me with the exact same symptoms you describe. On mine the handbrake cable did come right up with no resistance and i thought the cable had gone, but it was fine and once the rear brakes (both sides) had been re-lined all was fine.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

if you do the work yerself, be prepared for the broken shoes option, try and hitch a lift from a mate to the local motor factors if you dont have a second car.you know it makes sence.
Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Post by Pug106Dave »

Yeah, have not used car since, am pottering round in girlfriends jeep. I've got a new set of shoes that came with the car, so will open her up and have a look when I get chance.
Thanks for the advice
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

This has happened to me. The lining breaks away from the shoe, and will fall out when the drum is removed.
The cause is seizure of the handbrake lever in the trailing shoe web, which prevents the brakes from releasing properly. This seems to occur mostly with Bosch shoes - perhaps the hole is too small. Use OE Bendix replacement shoes, new star lock washers (included in Bendix kit) and grease the pivots with coppaslip. You will also need new hub nuts and grease caps. GSF stock all these items.
The joys of French motoring!
rotodiesel.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Glad to see it wasn't only me with this problem! But oh dear,i replaced the shoes with new Bosch ones! Oh well if it goes again it should be easier next time round...
Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Post by Pug106Dave »

Well, it was the friction lining breaking clean off the shoe (bendix shoes tho!). But also have leaky wheel cylinders on both sides, and the union nuts are not coming undone, so am swearing very loudly....