How do You RAISE the suspention on a 405?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimBob

How do You RAISE the suspention on a 405?

Post by JimBob »

Hi All. I have searched to no avail to find out how can you raise the rear suspension on a tired old Diesel Pug 405 Turbo, which drags it's bum on the deck when you fill it up.Any Ideas Please?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

New shocks?There quite cheap & proberly easy to do.Or spring assisters.You fit them into the spring(i presume it hasn`t got torision bar?)& they reduce the sag.Have a look at the Towsure website.They do EVERYTHING for towing,caravans,camping etc.I think it is www.towsure.co.uk
Mail order or they have 3 shops in the uk.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

405 rears are torsion bar set up.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

That rules out sring assisters then!!!I would think a new set of shocks then.Had the same trouble on a Sierra Sapphire a fews years ago.Used to sag when loaded,or towing.Fitted a new set of shocks,about £40 for both,took about half an hour to do.Much improved after that.
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Thanks for that, but it is Torsion bar and the shocks work fine. I am going to do the reverse of the instructions I have received for lowering and see what happens.
Pug 405 GRTD 92' 140,000+ and still flying.....
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Lastest News. Got the shocks off, and the end plates off the bars themselves. The diagram in Haynes is incorrect for my Model and there seems to be a Ecentric washer at each end. Anyone seen this before or what this does as the manual fails to answer both these questions.?
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimBob</i>

Lastest News. Got the shocks off, and the end plates off the bars themselves. The diagram in Haynes is incorrect for my Model and there seems to be a Ecentric washer at each end. Anyone seen this before or what this does as the manual fails to answer both these questions.?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Third day on and still the bars won't come off! I found eventually the washers hold the bars in, not that it needed it as thay are stuck fast. No amount of pulling or banging with large hammers have had any effect so it's time to put it back together. At least I got new brake pipes on. I will just have to use it untill I wear a hole in the Diesel tank at which point I walk!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Did you try applying some heat to the area where the torsion bar enters the radius arm? Tapping it also with a mallet will also help to loosen them all up. That and a lot of plus-gas, but dont heat and use plus-gas at the same time for obvoius reasons!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Did you undo the screw at the other end of the torsion bar? The eccentric washer locks the bar in the trailing arm, but there is a screw that hold the bar in the axle at the other end.
Try making a slide hammer, I think it's a M8 threaded hole in the end of the torsion bar, get a length of M8 threaded bar and some large washers, a very large and heavy socket, and some M8 nuts.
Screw the threaded bar into the torsion bar, place the socket on the bar, add a few large washers and the lock the end of the bar with a couple of nuts. Grab the socket and slide it back along the bar at speed until it hits the washers, repeat process! Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!
I pulled the torsion bars on my old Saxo using this method, and it worked a treat! Apply some copper grease to the splines of the torsion bar, it will take a few goes to set the height correctly so they might be in and out a few times.
Hope this has helped.