205 suspension queries

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dvhttn

205 suspension queries

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
I've got a 205XLD. Not wonderful but it looks like I'll have it for a while yet. Anyway, one thing I would like to change is the 'bonnet up, boot down' look. As well as fitting some better suspension.
On the back I've put in new damper bushes and tightened them at the Haynes recommended distance apart (with the help of several kerbstones in the boot!). The front looks like it's several inches higher than the back (the back looks fine) and most pugs I've seen are like this. Is there a recommended drop for the front end to get them to match up? And can anyone recommend new suspension units, springs and rear dampers for it?
Obviously not looking for top of the range units- just 'budget' new ones.
Thanks in advance
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Having had two Pug 205's in the past, I can agree that both seemed to have a wide gap between the top of the wheel and the body around the wheel arch, but at the same time, both bodies sat level. If the back of yours looks down, it might be that the torsion bar has been removed and not put back in the correct position. As far as new suspension is concerned, look at what GSF has to offer. New front legs are about 25quid each.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

OK. I can believe that the back is too far down because of ham fisted *repairs* in the past (I bought it with 90K+ miles on it - just run in ...) but what should the distance between wheel arch and top of wheel be as *standard*? Mine are c. 20mm at the rear and c. 90mm at the front! *Most* 205s I see are like this though ...
Comments anyone?
Cheers
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Our 205 dipped at the back until I replaced the rear dampers. I made no adjustment to the dampers' top anchor point, so the dampers must have been knackered.
It had been driving with its nose in the air for about five years.
I'll try and get you the measurements you want for tomorrow...
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Finally got a look at the 205:
Distance from top of tyre to top of wheel arch:
Front: 27.8cm (to highest point in wheel arch)
Rear: 15.9cm
This is with 155/70 R13 tyres. If you don't have the same size, these measurements aren't going to be much use. But they're still wildly different from yours, especially at the back.
It's a 5-door GLD by the way.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Thanks for that Ralph. My tyres are the same as yours - and I have a 3 door XLD so I suspect the suspension should be identical but .... are you sure your measurements are in cm? As 27cm is nearly a foot ....
My measurements were from the top of the tyre to the top of the wheel arch as you say yours were. I can imagine your rear one being nearer the mark than the 20mm I have nut 150mm as you say?
Hmmm. Maybe we have the top of the wheel arch differently? I go by the curve of the wheel arch on the wing - take the top of the curve.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

No, my 205 isn't an East Africa rally special, I'm just measuing differently!
I measured from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch on the inside, by throwing the tape up until it hit metal.
The front wheel arch is not a uniform shape inside, but its highest point is above the centre of the wheel, hence my massive measure.
Sorry I can't give you new figures using the conventional method as I don't have the car today.
As for how to measure - I'll know for next time!
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

OK Ralph - thanks for the clarification. I'll have to get the tape out again later - no problem.
Thanks