306 eating fuses

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P 2501

306 eating fuses

Post by P 2501 »

Hi
I have a 1997 306 xtdt which keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse for the dash lights, rheostat and heater blower.I pulled up at my house last night and pulled the handbrake on and the fuse popped.this made me think the hand brake was involved in some way, so i levered off the recessed litter thingy at the back of the center console and underneath was a coil of 12 or so wires 5 of which had been completely sheared through by the action of the handbrake arm.These wires end in little plastic block terminal thingies, and all other electrical items on the car work fine, so is it ok here just to insulate the bare ends of the wires with tape? some of the wires going to two two of the terminals are very thick so iwas wondering what they are for - electric seats? thanks for any replies
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

All you have to do is make a repair that your happy with. See if you can solder back together.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I don't know where the controls for the rear electric windows are on a later XTdt like yours, but on mine (1994) there's two switches in the centre console above the rear ashtray. When I had the centre console out last I found that as well as wiring for these switches there were two spare connectors which I later found out were for heated seats, which I don't have. It's possible that the wiring loom is the same on yours, and that's what the chunkier unused wires are for. Either way, if everything is working okay then sure, insulate away!
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks Batwad! That is just the info i was looking for. I had a suspicion that they might be there because of changes in the control layout, but i have never seen inside an early 306 so i wasnt sure. Everything else in the car works so like you say i am going to cover everything in insulating tape and see what happens. And believe it or not my car does not have rear elec windows OR heated door mirrors OR air con! i think the previous owner may have just stolen an xtdt badge from another 306...
BTW have you had any broken wiring in this area or is your handbrake placed slightly differently?
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

No rear electrics or mirrors? That certainly doesn't sound like an XT to me! Mine hasn't got aircon; I imagine it was only fitted to 306s that were shipped to the tropics for the earlier models like mine and became an option for the phase two models.
To answer your question, I've not had a problem with my wiring in that area. I'm a little surprised that the wiring runs close enough to the handbrake mechanism for this to happen to you, to be honest. I would have thought it would take a different route or be suitably shielded.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks for the reply Alex. Yes, i am surprised too by the routing of the wiring.It is so obviously wrong i can't believe it left the factory like that, probably too much red wine at lunch time... I have now insulated the bare wiring and protected the remaining wires with some foam sheeting and hopefully thats the end of it.
Thanks again