306dt Intercooler cleaning

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin
My Cars:

306dt Intercooler cleaning

Post by kevin »

Another quick one, has anyone pressurewashed the intercooler on a 306 to clean all the dirt from the fins to increase the efficnency. Or modified the air intake to improve the air flow to the intercooler.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

I would be carefull if you are using a pressure washer on the intercooler, it can damage the fins (more of a problem on rads wheres the fins are thinner). I have been told an air hose does an all right job, but ive just cleaned mine but taking it off and sticking in the sink for a wash. its amazing how much rubbish came out from inside let alone the outer rubish.
hth
later simon
DaveC
My Cars:

Post by DaveC »

I once removed a hose between the turbo to intercooler on my 405 tdi, I bunged the turbo outlet and intercooler inlet with kitchen towel so stuff didn't get in. I obviously forgot when moving the car over a pit to put it back on, and plumffff, into the cooler it went :)
I filled it with water and out came the towel, but it was amazing how much grime and weird bits of dead fly etc came out too! They really get full of bits.
I recently tried increasing airflow to my cooler on my last 405, the bonnet lining falls and all the air goes above it, no where near the intercooler!
I think that some kindof Subaru bonnet vent would be a definate help at all speeds, wheras the current one is only really truly good at motorway speeds!
I toyed with getting an old lining and making a mould from it, then forming one from grp that is smooth and nice and goes right down to the front grille, but you may as well just get a front mounted one for the hassle, or chop a hole in your bonnet scooby style!
Just want to put a temp sensor on the engine side of the intercooler, then you can see what it's like driving without a bonnet for a bit!
Seya
Dave
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I will give mine a gentle hose down this weekend after soaking it in de-greaser, thanks for the advice lads. One thought about the temperature, I have access to a freezer thermometer that has a probe with 3 meters of cable so I will rig it up to see what temperature it runs at before and after
Watch this space!!
Kevin
DaveC
My Cars:

Post by DaveC »

I was going to get the outside air temp sensor from a scrapper (out of the wing mirror on a 405), and then wire it in to my internal gauge and araldite it into the plastic casing at the back of the intercooler!
I even thought having one on the front, and one on the back, then you could see how efficient it was at different temps!
Would just be interesting!
Seya
Dave
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I was thinking of rigging something like this up, I have a mutimeter which has a thermocouple on it, but it seemed like too much work to start making holes in the intercooler; I'll have to think of another way!
DaveC
My Cars:

Post by DaveC »

Put the sensor on the end of thin but insulated wires, and have it sat inside the gap between the intercooler and the intake manifold, where it seperates.
Bung in some silicone sealer to make sure it seals up ok around the wires!
Also, make sure it won't get sucked through to the engine[:0]
It'd be a good spot for it as it gets the sum of all the airflow through the point, and not a proportion of it!
Hmmmm
Dave
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

On a short 5 mile drive the difference seems to be around 10 degrees centigrade between the ambient temperature and the pre intercooler air coming through the ducting in the bonnet. Over the next few weeks I will modify the ducting in the bonnet to improve the air flow.
I will also run some more temperature tests to verify the initial result and post them here
Kevin