XUD life expectancy?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheelzhavegone

XUD life expectancy?

Post by wheelzhavegone »

Hi all,
My mate has been offered an M reg 306 DTurbo for virtually nothing, but apparently the engine is shot, although no-one seems to know why! We havent been able to take a proper look, although we suspect a cambelt as the car generally doesn't look as if it had been rigourously serviced, if you know what I mean! It has got 193k on the clock, is this a good innings for an XUD9TE, or is it capable of many more (say 300k)? Or should he hoik it out and find another (slightly!) lower mileaged one at the scrappy? Other than the engine being dead, and multitudes of parking dents, it's a very nice car, and I for one am not going to let it go without a fight, i've kicked myself over potential bargains many many times before.....!
Thanks in advance!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

There's always the option of getting a replacement engine from the scrappy for a couple of hundred and dropping that in. Not a small task though [:)]
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

If serviced regularly the XUD should be capable of over 250k miles. Ive found that 5000 mile oil changes and good quality oil and perflux or equivilent filters are essential.
As these angines are prone to head gasket failure, mine failed at 100k, coolant changes and radiator flushes every year dependant on mileage and use is also essential as well as gearbox oil changes. I change the transmission oil every 36k and add Molyslip to protect the internal bearings.
The Injectors are often neglected, a dose of a proprietry cleaner, Millers or STP, and a fast drive up a suitable straight hill every month and before the MOT with new fuel and air filters in 3rd will clean the system out.
wheelzhavegone

Post by wheelzhavegone »

So if what I suspect is true, that this car has been neglected, then it would probably be a better idea to rip the current motor out and replace it then? Is the XUD9TE worth fixing at 193k, if it is just the cambelt that has gone? Or will it be suffering from a fair bit of bore wear, or big ends knocking, etc.? As for the engine being not an easy task, it cant possibly be as hard as our last major mechanical work, an '84 Maestro engine swap! That was not easy at all, and yes the Maestro is mine! It complements my '87 309 very nicely lol :)
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Swap the engines, Its not that big a task, drop the gearbox and lift the engine, it is quite feasable to do it in a day. The only potential problem I could see with scrap yard engines is the immobiliser on the fuel pump.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Why not put a belt on and see what it goes like? The belts aren't expensive and if the engine turns out to be junk, you'll be able to use the belt on your scrapyard engine (which you'll want to change the belt on before you use it anyway, won't you?)
The TE's a solid lump and isn't too frail unless the cooling system has been neglected. There's a hint for you - if it *IS* OK with a new belt - drop the coolant, flush the system and fill up with top quality stuff. Then change all the filters, fill up with semi-synthetic and do a couple of 1500 - 2000 mile oil changes.
As you have probably found out - scrapyard engines can be a mixed blessing!
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

If you do go down this route, when you are in that area changing the belt, check the water pump for wear. It could be worthwhile changing this as well.
I had a S/H XUD in my 309 that came from a citroen, there were the double chevron marks on various hoses, which covered over 100k in my ownership.
I also changed the oil breather hoses on this engine as a precaution, as these tend to bung up if services are neglected. There are some gems in the yards but be carefull!!
Kevin