405 o/s Driveshaft

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skes
My Cars:

405 o/s Driveshaft

Post by skes »

Hi There,
I took off my lower wishbone to replace the rear bush because i was geting a knocking noise over rough roads, now when i was looking i pulled on the disc and i could pull it out and push it back etc are these shafts supposed to have a clip to hold them into the cv joint? i now think thats whats causing my noise the shaft knocking in and out and it still knocks with a new bush maybe it's worn more play on the end of the shaft....anyone messed with one of these lately?
Cheers skes
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

THe inboard joint is usualy a triax type and thee move in and out by a large degree, they will come completely out if the rubber boot is unclipped.
If you are talikg about the outboard joint then yes there should be a wire circlip to prevent the shaft from pulling out completely, there is meant to be some end float though.
These cars have drop links like most pug/cit models, these drop links are famous for making knocking noises when they are on the way out, the knocking noise they make is totaly random, any knocking from a drive shaft can usualy be influenced (and identified) by engine load, steering angle and or road speed.
Dave
skes
My Cars:

Post by skes »

Hello Dave,
Thanks for your reply, i think it's the one you call the inboard joint (the one nearest the wheel), at first i thought it was the rear wishbone bush that was causing it because there was a lot of play, i could waggle the wheel left to right, i replaced that and it made it quite for a while although i could still just hear it but now it's back again [:(]
Talking of driveshaft noise [:)] i used to have a noise that sounded like a duff wheel bearing but when i ran the wheels i couldn't detect anything, but since i did the bush it seems to be more pronounced now especialy on lefthand bends when the o/s wheel is under load, could this be the said joint? sorry to go on a bit[:D]
silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

dave
when the drop links have worn is it possible to feel them for play like you do with a lower ball joint? i'm getting knocking noises from the near side front, it sounds just like a worn ball joint, but i've had them checked and they're fine.
pienmash
My Cars:

Post by pienmash »

tis balljoints mate,there weak on all 405,s if the droplink is worn ,the drive should just pop out a little not completely ,they only pop out when the drop link (i fink )is undone at the bottom,maybe tis bent a ickle thus allowing play (in and out motion)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Inboard joint is opposit to wheel end of shaft, closest to the diff.
Drop links will have easily detectable play in them if they can be heard knocking, but you will only find it by having both front wheels at the same height, so either look for play while its still on the (level) ground or jack both front wheels off the ground together.
If you don't the roll bar will twist, loading the joints up and making detection impossible.
Dave
silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

i forgot to state that its a 205gti i've got not a 405, does the same principle still apply or are they both completly different?
skes
My Cars:

Post by skes »

In case anyone is interesred i went mad and changed all the joints, i changed 4 wishbone bushes all but one (offside front) had wear, when wishbones were off i found a bit of play in o/s balljoint so replaced both (not an easy job without special tool) o/s Track rod end was also worn so replaced both so they ( o/s joints) probably accounted for the noise, i also replaced both drop links although there didn't seem to be any wear, BUT as i was going round a corner the next day i heard a big bang and it started knocking bad on inspection the n/s drop link had come apart from the top mounting, the rubber had pulled right out of the drop link and the bottom one was half out, SO i put both the old drop links back on and there was no knocking so at least i know it wasn't the drop links that were causing my problem.
So hope this info was helpful
skes