damn no ignition!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bad driver
My Cars:

damn no ignition!!

Post by bad driver »

OK, just put a new head gasket and head on my 306td. Anyway, I turned it over and it doesnt fire up?
There is compression there as it chugs through the exhaust, its not pressurising the coolant anymore either. I have checked the fuel is getting through and the stop solenoid is not jammed or anything. The glowplugs are glowing as well. Its a bit annoying really. I cant see the pump timing being out as it hasnt been disturbed throughout the process and the cambelt was kept in place on the pulleys around the system. Has anyone any suggestions as to other possible causes??
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Sounds like something crazy - sure you havent left a plug connector unplugged?
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

No, nothing was unplugged other than fuel filter housing and coolant temp sensor, they are both plugged back in and neither should affect it anyway as its completley mechanical.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I had a similar problem when replacing the fuel pump on a 305. After much head scratching I stripped it down again and found that the pump's Woodruff key had fallen out as I was fitting the pulley and the timing was nearly (but not quite)180 degrees out.
I know you haven't disturbed the pump but could something similar have happened with the cam?
Another thing you could try, if you're sure nothing's clashing, is towing it. If it starts with a tow you can work from there, it might even start behaving after that, mine did.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

no woodruff keys or anything have been lost, someone has told me however that there is a 2:1 ratio between crank and cam, seeing the cam and pump pulleys are the same size I'm assuming the ratio will be the same between crank and pump.
the timing belt was 4 notches out on the pump as when everything else was TDC the pump locking holes didnt line. Could it be possible that instead of going 4 notches forward I should of gone 38 back?? Surely one full rotation is what the pump requires to pump all 4 lines so it wouldnt make a difference??
Sorry for rambling but its cracking me up!!
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

OK, got it started late last night, no longer any pressure build in the coolant but when I revved the engine there were sparks coming out the back of the engine somewhere,, it was a bit late to be trying to locate the fault but anyone got any ideas what may cause this?