205 td shaking gearstick and uneven acceleration!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marcus jackson

205 td shaking gearstick and uneven acceleration!

Post by marcus jackson »

I've got a 93 L reg 205 stdt with about 90,000 miles under it's belt and ever since I have owned it, I have had this problem
Basically when accelerating away from a junction in first or second gear I can feel a strange unevenness to the acceleration. This happens upto abouit 25 mph and disapears soon after that.There are no nasty noises, but at the same time the gear stick shakes violently from left to right.I can actually feel something rotating unevenly through the gearstick but cannot trace the fault.I have noted that when you pull away very slowly the problem doesn't become noticeable. Also sometimes when pulling off in a straight line the fault seems to have gone.....but returns when you pull away to the left or right...
I have chnaged both driveshafts for peugeot recon units(bought from peugeot main dealer) and replaced all engine mounts including the big one at the back of the engine block.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have completely cured the problem. One point to note is the old driveshafts were absolutely knackered and replacing them has helped. so possibly as the previous owner was using the car with clapped out driveshafts, this has worn something else????.
I'm starting to think that there is a problem with the gearbox or final drive unit????
any help or pointers to someone who has experienced this problem would be much appreciated!!
thanks in advance!
Marcus
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Has the intermediate bearing for the o/s drive shaft been changed as well? It could be that it has taken a few other bearings out with it as well (Differential, wheel bearings).
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I had a brand new 205 GLD in 1988, it had this same problem from day one, most of the time it would do it but the odd time it would be as smooth as a babys.
Looking at the driveshafts at the diff end they were not concentric, I took this up with the main dealer but they just said that it was the nature of the Triax joint, I thought that was a load of crap but they were unmoved on the subject, I had to replace a shaft at high mileage and the replacement also was not perfectly true so the problem never went away, I parted with that car just 25 miles short of 200K miles.
Unless you can find shafts that rotate with the inboard joint perfectly concentrically you will allways have this problem.
Jack it up and rotate the wheels, watch the driveshaft at the inboard joints, you should see them go up and down.
Makers of superlative diesel engines with seemingly no idea when it comes to simple things like drive shafts.
Dave
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

If you deliberately stop and immediate pull away again is it as bad. If not then I suspect you are pulling in air into the feul supply and while you are sitting at a junction the air is accumalating and as you pull away the engine is feuling erratically. Normal cause is the flexi pipes from the tank to the ridgit pipes. They may appear damp and there is your problem. Good Luck. Regards Peter.