Peugeot 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

Peugeot 205

Post by Rob Marshall »

Hello!
My girlfriend has a beautiful red....car (sorry guys!)
It is a J reg peugeot 205 style. 1.1; TU engine carb. 60,000 miles, full service history.
Several problems:
1. I have to fit a clutch. I am intending to fit a proper Valeo one as the rest of the car is so nice. Did they change the clutches on the 1.1 TU. I don't want to get the car in bits & find the new clutch doesn't fit!
2. Needs a starter motor. Old one fell apart, so fitted a tatty one from a Citroen ZX which is noisy. As she wants to keep the car, I want to get a new / recon one from GSF. Will fit when I do the clutch.
3. Has a nasty oil leak coming from the OSF of the engine. Seems to be coming from the timing cover area. I changed the belt last year, no oil on it. There is yukky squeesy sealent stiff round the sump. Is the TU prone to oil leaks in this area?
4. Needs a back box. GSF has advised me that they do not have any later exhausts, only up to 1991. What was the difference between later & earlier exhausts??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ROb (& nicky!)
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

any responses anyone???!
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I should immagine the changed the cluthc assembly when thet changed the engine type from the old 1.1 to the 1.1TU series. A quick look down the parts catalogue will tell.
As you will be changing the clutch, since it is faulty, it is advisable to change the starter motor as well for three reasons;
1 You have most of the ancillaries removed anyway
2 It will take around 30 minutes
3 The grief from the girlfriend until the job is done!!
I do not know what the oil leak is other than recommending cleaninf all the surrounding area. It could either be the cam shamft oil seal or the rocker cover gasket.
I should immagine all the exhaust back boxes are common for the later 1.1
Hope this answers some of your queries
Ivor Rust-Buckette
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Thanks for the advice, particulary i respect to the grief from the GF!!!!!
So therefore I should assume that:
1. Clutches on the 205 1.1 carb are the same.
2. Back boxes are the same.
3. Starter motor should be changed at the same time
4. The Mrs will love me for ever.
Rob