306 TD rocker cover

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

306 TD rocker cover

Post by batwad »

With a week off work in front of me and some nice sun pouring through the windows this morning, I decided that I'd tackle the bloomin' oil leak on my 306 at last. I popped to Halfords and picked up a bottle of Gunk with the intention of cleaning the engine so I could determine exactly the source of the leak.
Got home and, after letting the engine cool [:)], I whipped off the intercooler. There was a lot more oil hiding under there than I originally though, so the rocker gasket seemed a likely culprit. I then spotted the breather hose, split and without a jubilee clip on it. Seems like the Gunk was surplus to requirements.
Apparently GSF don't stock the breather hoses, so it'll be a trip to the Pug dealer for me tomorrow. Incidentally, the old rocker gasket wasn't too bad; gone a bit hard with age so for £4 for a new one I can't grumble.
BUT! When putting the cover back on, one of the bolts had the cheek to shear on me [:(!] Haynes specifies 15lb/ft of torque, but they definitely weren't that when I took them off. They sheared at about 10-12lb/ft.
So, godwilling, I'll get a new set of bolts from Peugeot tomorrow as well.
Can anyone confirm or rubbish Haynes' suggested torque setting? Also, any tips for replacing the breather pipe? It looks like a right pig to get to...
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Is it the breather at the base of the filler neck round the back?
I changed mine due to a split, actually slipped on quite easy witha bit of fresh oil smeared round it. As for rocker/cam cover, I just done mine by hand ignoring all torque wrench settings, just took it to the point it felt tight as possible without breaking.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

At least yours sheared, I was trying to torque mine to 15 foot pounds aswell and the threads just gave up with an almighty crack! I normally would have had a feel for the bolts, but I was using a big torque wrench and so the leverage meant I was putting more torque through the bolt than I though. Still not 15Lb/Ft though..... Damn Haynes!
Had to recut the threads for a bigger bolt.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Nice to hear I'm not the only one falling foul of a torque wrench, Ross! The was the first time I've had a bolt shear on me, and I nearly shat myself when it went [B)]
Fortunately, it head sheard about 5mm above the head so I could get a pair of pliers on it and remove it. Glad I didn't have to try out my sheared-bolt-removing-toolkit [:D]
Replacement bolts are 26p from Peugeot, just a shame I've got to drive 15 miles to my nearest dealer and back. In a Nova.