Dodgy Wipers....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Dodgy Wipers....

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi All,
I noticed a few posts on the site on this subject already - I wondered if anyone could clarify the solution.
My rear wipers work fine, my front wipers are a complete mess!
The front wipers do not work on "fast" or "intermittent".
The "normal" speed works, but does not auto park (i.e. the wipers stay wherever they are at the moment you move from "normal" to off).
Also, the "sweep" (i.e. a flick down on the stalk) only works while the stalk is held down - again does not auto park!
Also, the wash wiper seems to be wired the wrong way round - when the stalk is pulled towards me the rear wash jets operate (and there is no movement of the front wipers either - not sure if there should be?!?) When using the rear wash wipe the rear wipers work, but the front wash jet operates! I'm guessing the terminal block on the wash wipe motor is reversed, but I cannot find the wash wipe motor - can anyone help with this?
Looking at (the dire!) circuit diagram I found in a cheapo non-haynes manual, the wiper motor seems to contain the end of travel switch - I checked this out manually with a multi-meter and this seems to be fine! Could a faulty timer relay be to blame? Does anyone know the part number of such a relay or know what it looks like, colour etc?
Does anyone know which relay is the timer relay?
I have two purple relays, one brown relay and one ominous space...
The two purple relays definately are wiper related, remove either one and the limited wiper movement I have is removed!
I bought the car this way (stupidly forgot to check out the wiper motion when I bought the car!) so I'm wondering whether the timer relay is completely missing (hence the space) or whether the purple relays are incorrect and should in fact be of a different type!?!?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by r_306_XSi</i>

Also, the wash wiper seems to be wired the wrong way round - when the stalk is pulled towards me the rear wash jets operate (and there is no movement of the front wipers either - not sure if there should be?!?) When using the rear wash wipe the rear wipers work, but the front wash jet operates! I'm guessing the terminal block on the wash wipe motor is reversed, but I cannot find the wash wipe motor - can anyone help with this?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not sure about this model but quite often there is just one washer pump which spins one way to wash the front and spins in the opposite direction to wash the rear. Sometimes if they stop working or start squirting the wrong end all that is needed is the pump removing and blowing through.
The most likely place for the motor is at the bottom of the washer fluid tank, probably inside the front wing.
Your other wiper problems could be the switch, motor or as you suspect the relay(s).
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi Homer - Thanks for the info.
I suspect the washer pump is wired up backwards as when I push the stalk control to "wipe & wash rear" the rear wiper wipes, but the front washers wash - and vice versa when I pull the stalk towards me to wash the front - the front wipers wipe, and the rear wash washes!!
[}:)]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Probably just got the pipes on the wrong outlets then.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Thanks Homer - thats my washers sorted!
Just my wipers to get to the bottom of!
The high speed setting is just a broken wire between switch and relay I think as I can make the high speed setting work by jumpering the relay and moving to normal speed setting on the stalk!
So I'm just left with sorting out intermittent wipe & auto park!
I cannot find the intermittent wipe relay - I've gone to the length of pulling each relay, trying all controls to see what stops working - all relays I can find are accounted for!!
Except, there is an ominous blank hole that should take a relay socket (both socket and relay absent!). Does anyone know if this is where the intermittent relay should sit (also what it looks like, part number etc)?
I'll list them all here as it seems a shame to waste my troubleshooting efforts, and this info may be of use to others.
So, under the steering wheel, by the fuse box I have:
One 3 pin black relay (for indicators)
One 5 pin orange (timer?) relay (for rear windscreen demister)
One 4 pin green relay (for fan)
There are also two other 4 pin green relays by the side of the fusebox, unsure what they do.
Also, on a seperate mounting strip, but still revealed by the cover, is:
Two purple 4 pin relays (one on left is high speed wiper relay, one on right is normal speed wiper relay)
One brown 5 pin relay (although I think a four pin relay would work here as only four pins are wired on the socket). Think this relayis alarm related as jumpering the pins brings the headlights on, but the headlights can still be turned on and off via the stalk.
One green 4 pin relay (for accessory power)
Can anyone take a look at their relay configuration and tell me whether my "blank hole" is where the intermittent wiper relay sits?
If so, a description of the relay socket may be useful, as I guess I'll have to go hunting through the dash to see if its hanging around in there!
Thanks to you all for your help.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Is there any kind soul out there that could take a look at their relays and tell me if I have one missing?
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi All,
Having taken the car for a service to the main dealer - they said my wiper problem required replacement of the wiper motor. I think this unlikely due to checks I have carried out previously!
What I think may have happened is that on Phase 2 306's the delay relay is mounted behind the wiper motor, and it is this that needs replacement on my vehicle - can anybody confirm this?
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Sorry to keep harping on this subject, but I think I've nearly got it sorted - just got one pesky problem left to get to the bottom of!!
I have diagnosed the problem - the wiper delay relay is missing / broken. My only problem is I don't know wher eit is. I have painstakingly verified all the relays under the steering wheel and its not there - I've looked behind the front wiper motor and its not there either! I taken the instrument binacle and most of the dash apart to follow the wiring but to no avail
What I am looking for is a wired 6 pin socket somewhere - the Haynes book of lies seems to show it will be a 8 pin socket with only 6 pins wired on it - but it is deathly silent about where it is situated in the car, or what it actually looks like - size / colour etc. Can anyone else shed light on where this delay relay lives?
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

I'm not familiar with your vehicle, but wiper delay relays on French cars are blue. The socket can be identified by the fact that one of the relay connections is a small size tab, whilst the remainder are standard 1/4" blades. The newer French wiper delay relays are unreliable - get one from a VW (black case) from a scrap yard.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Thanks for the info rotodiesel - I'll keep a look out for a blue relay!
Think I'm down to phoning the local peugeot delaership and ordering a new one in the hope I can then wheddle the location information off them!
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Also thought I might try buying one of these Electronic Parts Catalogues (EPC) they have for sale on Ebay, as these seem to show the position and installation of all parts - gotta be worth a try at under a fiver!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Hi.
well, as my first post here I hope this works as I expect it to!
on your 306, you can have a look at what one of the delay timer relays look like, as there is one fitted right next to the rear wiper motor, in the tailgate. They are a light blue colour, and common to just about every Peugeot I have seen. This relay is not particularly reliable, as I have now had 2 fail on me. If the relay fails it will not only stop the intermittent wipers working, but also the "wipe when washing" action.
I am also having difficulty with the wipers on my 306, as they judder really badly while parking. I think this is a motor contact issue, the contact that allows self parking.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Thanks for the info - I think what has happened is that the delay timer relay has been erroneously replaced with a normal relay - as talking to people it seems it should reside on the normal relay bar.
I will take out the rear delay relay, and by trial and error (and a sneak peak at a work colleagues car!) figure out which relay slot it should reside in!
Jason_306DT
My Cars:

Post by Jason_306DT »

Hi, ive just bought a 306 and i have the same problem as you. Ive been trying to understand the haynes circuit diagrams. In the fuse box, i have a socket for a realy which has no relay in it. I guess this is the wiper relay.. missing. I will try get a relay and stick in there see if it fixes the problem.
Can anyone label a digi photo to show what each realy is?? That would help. Also, i might try taking the relay from the rear wiper and putting it on the front.. would this work??
cheers
Jason
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi there,
When you say you have a missing relay in the fusebox, which fusebox are you referring to - the one under the steering wheel or the one in the engine bay?
I have a spare relay socket in the engine bay, and this relay operates the dim-dip feature. If it is a missing relay under the steering wheel, which position is it?