Can anyone identify this part?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrbump
My Cars:

Can anyone identify this part?

Post by mrbump »

Hi,
I have just done an engine swap from one 405td 1995 into another 405td (estate). Having some problems now that the engine is installed.
The fans come on when power is applied to the starter motor (from ignition), but not when directly applied to the starter from battery. All connections seem correct including fan switch at bottom of rad.
After following wires and reading Haynes (which does not correlate to the wire numbers or colours correctly by the way), I have traced the problem to a little black box which sits under the passenger side headlight. It has a 12 pin multiplug. When this is disconnected engine will run and glowplugs still work. Does anybody know what this unit does or waht it is called? Is it only fitted to certain 405 models?
Any ideas at all would be appreciated.
TIA
[:)]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Would it be the infamous "Bitron" unit per chance? IIRC, both fans will operate at slow speed if the unit thinks that the aircon is on; also one of the temp sensors/switches is used by the Bitron unit, and then fed to the temp warning light (or something like that).
Try swapping the temp sensors/switches over from the old engine to the new - that could well cure it.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hi phil,
Thanks for the lightning answer!!!!
Yes it does say bitron on the unit, so these things are notorious are they? I take it that the unit has more t do with the a/c system than anything else?
I will change over all the old sensors tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed[:)]
Any idea how much the new bitorn unit would cost?
Cheers
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Don't think it's duff; just that it's getting duff info from the temp sensors. I guess the engine came out of a non-aircon car, hence the difference...
On air-con cars, the Bitron unit basically runs the fans; half speed if the aircon is on (or it thinks it is), then either 1 or 2 fans dependant on the engine temp. Do a search for "Bitron" on this forum....there'll be a lot of posts!
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

MrBump over on the Citroen section you said you have a couple of bitron units spare, it looks like mine (Xantia 1.9td ) is duff, what do you want for one ?
Pete