405 springs and dampers

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveC
My Cars:

405 springs and dampers

Post by DaveC »

Hiya,
I'm just wondering if anyone has had much experience with uprated suspension kits for the 405?
I've got my eye on a set of both dampers AND springs, since my current rear dampers are very worn, and the whole car sits too high for my driving preference.
Pi and System 2 and Avo all do quite good sets from 150 to 250 pounds, but I don't want anything too stiff and harsh/crashy. I'm about to pick up an Mi16 rear axle with the discs and all to replace my current drum (crappy) setup. At that point I can then lower the rear axle too, I've heard 30mm is more than enough!
Only thing is, does lowering the rear axle stiffen it, or is it just as soft, but lower. So is it just going to bottom out more, since a good deal of the travel is gone? Is there any way to stiffen it?
My brother has a 405 Tdi like me, but it has Mi16 all over it (bought it something like 5th hand from taxi guy in Newcastle) and it sits maybe 20mm lower than mine, and handles like nothing I've driven before, makes mine feel like an SUV... As far as I can tell it has gas shocks but I don't think they were/are standard.
If I buy OEM Peugeot suspension parts for an Mi16 and put them on my 405, will it essentially be an Mi16 suspension wise, or are the anti roll bars different and the rear torsion beam different.
Thanks for any help in this area, just not sure since peugeot parts cd's show up pretty much the same part numbers for everything suspension related, are they really the same (td and mi16)?
Cheers
Dave