!!!1.5 diesel engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Foxy
My Cars:

!!!1.5 diesel engine

Post by Foxy »

Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if the same engine is in the Rover 1.5 diesel (N Reg.) as the Peugeot 106 Mark 2 (P Reg)
I have a choice of buying one of the two vehicles.
Many thanks
FOXY
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

AFAIK It is...my dad has an M reg Metro 1.5, and it looks like a Peugeot/Citroen lump to me...It's even stated (by Rover) that it is the PSA Diesel...
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Metro / Rover 100? Two words of sage advice - RUN AWAY!
Mother has one, the "sporty" 114 GTA - the build quality is rubbish, it rusts and it's generally valueless and unloveable.
At least the engine is OK on the 1.5 diesel, but I'm struggling to find something nice to say about the rest of the car.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

The Metro is one of the most dangerous cars on the road and have one of the highest death rates in accidents. On the plus side they are cheap.
If the choice were mine I'd go for the 106.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Go for the Peugeot every time - I have had two 1.5d Peugeots and love them - briefly owned a Rover 100 (although it was a petrol one) and the handling was rubbish - it's like driving a toy - it bounces all over the place. My nephew had another Rover 100 with the 1.5d engine - the engine is identical - there may be slight differences with the positioning of ancillaries. Finally 106's don't seem to rust ( I think they are galvanised) - you can see K and L reg 106s with no bodywork rust at all. And you can see N reg Rovers with the rear wheel arches really gone - just look around. Even if the 106 costs a bit more (it should do unless the mileage is much higher) go for the Peugeot. Check for service history of course and make sure timing belt changes up to date.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'll second the above - metros are really variable in terms of build quality. A friend of mine had one that was a total rust bucket at only four years old!!! and we aint talking surface rust here!!!
Ron