406 Instrument problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ramon
My Cars:

406 Instrument problems

Post by ramon »

I have just got over a problem on my P reg 406 which may be of interest to other members.
The fuel guage was playing up for some time and often the needle would drop to zero for a few minutes whilst driving, as this was intermittent I made the normal checks for bad connections but could find nothing.Three weeks ago it suddenly refused to work at all and after checking everything again I decided the problem must be with the guage itself so I took out the whole instrument panel(Sagem). A close inspection revealed that the main printed circuit board has long pins which plug into the back of the fuel guage, tacho and speedo. The fuel guage pins had hair line cracks around them where they where soldered to the PCB. A quick resoldering job cured the problem, also while I was there I resoldered the tacho and speedo pins because they looked a bit short of solder.
Everthing worked perfectly for the next week when suddenly all the guages went to zero and stayed there, the temperature guage still worked but that does not connect through pins on the PCB. I also noticed that the dashboard clock was dead ! After checking out the fuses and the supply I once again took out the instrument panel. This time I found the problem was the flexible PCB connector, this is the connector near the edge of the PCB which has a push on spring clip. I removed the clip, carefully cleaned the contacts with solvent (do not use anything abrasive)tightened up the fingers of the spring clip and refitted it. I had obviously disturbed the connector during my first repair. Now, 2 weeks and 300 miles later all is still well.
I hope my experience may help someone else out there.
drafvidal

Post by drafvidal »

I had a similar problem while driving in Cornwall, when the speedo and rev counters went suddenly to zero. Gone to the nearest Peugeot garage I was surprised to see the expert going to the boot and disconnecting the CD box.
I was then told that it is a very common fault as some water goes in trough the rear light rubber insulation and provoke short circuit of some parts of the computerized system.
If anybody has a similar problem this tip maybe of help