106 1.5d starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moj
My Cars:

106 1.5d starting problems

Post by moj »

My 1995 106 1.5d has been getting more difficult to start, I have replaced the glow plugs, it has had a new battery,This morning i noticed that the heater plug light would not come on and before trying to start i noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment and the ignition light was very dim, the smoke was coming from the pre heater unit, and the cable that supplys power to the glow plugs was literally glowing, does this mean the unit has packed up or could something else be causing the problem, any ideas ?
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

sounds like a short somewhere if the wirres glowing red, I sugget you inspect every wire and look for the cause.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Can we assume that the new battery was connected correctly?
moj
My Cars:

Post by moj »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
moj
My Cars:

Post by moj »

Yes the battery was connected properly, I have since replaced the glow plug relay with a second hand unit, it is not shorting out now, but there is no current going to the glow plugs and the glow plug light does not come on, Hopefully it is just another faulty unit and not anything else<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by moj</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

for the supply wire to the glowplugs to be glowing, you must have either an internal short to earth on one of the plugs or your feed wire is contacting earth somewhere near the plugs themselves.
Ron
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

have you checked your fuses? good chance that when the old unit shorted it blew the fuse and thats why the new unit is not getting current? Is the wire into the unit live when the ignition is on?
moj
My Cars:

Post by moj »

It turned out to be another dud relay, when i had the original short it took out one of the glow plugs, i have since replaced the plug and fitted another relay, and its back to starting normally again, thanks for all your comments