306 twin fans

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robins1uk

306 twin fans

Post by robins1uk »

hi all
i have a 306 dturbo, and was wondering if anyone knows, are both fans meant to go at the same time as the one on the passa. side of the car doesn.t seem to be going. And if they do how can i track down where the fault lies......<font color="blue"></font id="blue">
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

The twin fans are designed to come on at different temps. But i think the passenger side is the first one to come on (at about 97 c) and the second kicks in at around 105. you are only seeing one fan on because the temp is only hot enough to start the former.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

or... The temp IS hot enough to activate both fans, but you have a problem with the passenger side fan. You can short the connections next the radiator to start these fans to check the fans themselves and if they work then the sensor/wiring may be at fault.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

The fans are wired to be twin-speed. A set of relays, part of the fan housing, control the switching and run them in series for low speed and in parallel at high speed. If one's not coming on, I'd take the fans out (you'll need to remove the rad for this) and check the connections to the motors, have a look inside the control box on the fan housing, then test the motors themselves. After all, this is what I did when my fans weren't working. I found out that the connectors had come adrift from the motors, which was quite a feat as they're pretty darn tough to push back as there's some mighty big retaining lugs.
robins1uk

Post by robins1uk »

ive tested it all and it seems to be the fan, ive been quoted £120 just for the motor does that sound right...<font size="1"></font id="size1">
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Ouch, that does seem steep. Where's that from?
If you ask nicely, Jon might be able to give you a quote on a GSF part... :-)
robins1uk

Post by robins1uk »

it is a twin fan system, that price was from a peugeot dealer,i did try calling my local gsf dealer on a price and they said that they dont do that part.