Good Garage in Leicester CIty??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrtimh
My Cars:

Good Garage in Leicester CIty??

Post by mrtimh »

Hi, just wondered anyone can reccommend a good car garage in Leicester. Im not knocking car garages in general, just feel a bit hard dome by...
Recently i wanted my cam belt changed so phoned the 3 peugeot garages in Leicester (as i dont know of anyone else) i got 3 prices £107inc , £112inc and £180inc - I was puzzled, so took the issue up with a manager at the cheapest. He assured me they all sing from the same song sheet?? Humm! Anyway i got a bill for £222 cuz they had to change the waterpump as well, (107 + waterpump + p/steering belt + alternator belt, late 2 lating 5 mins to fit when putting cab belt back on)
Anyway, i went to another garage in Leicester, they charged me £50 to swap some tyres from the steel wheels, to alloys i brought from ebay. I watched for an hour as a 16yr kid changed them over then they hit me with £50... Those wheel balancing wieghts cost an arm and a leg nowa days. I think Not! (A few days before they said about 25 quid....)
[im guessing they dont pay the kid half of that in a day]
Sorry for the moan, its just my 306 keeps cutting out after i have been down the road for a bit. I stop at the lights and chug chug, bit of hairy jumping up and down then stop. Restart fine, down the road same again? I dont drive it too often at uni, but know i cant afford another massive car repair bill.
Any help, is much appreciated..
Kind regards, TiM
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

i'm in full agreement, i live in leicester too and just can't find anyone to trust with any of my cars---took my wifes 106 diesel to f1 autocentre for a driveshaft(£96)they told me i needed new pads and a frontpipe, when i got it back, brakes were crap and exhaust rattled like a rattly thing---4 visits later i sold the car 'cos the arrogant young pup who they kept putting on it couldn't sort it and the exhaust was still rattling though it was fine b4 they got their hands on it---as for havin a cambelt done---i'll let it snap rather than be conned
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the garages in Leicester. Some places are like that. I have a friend who would rather drive from his home in Brum, down to a little village garage in Mid-Devon because he gets a good job done there. It also works out cheaper to stay in a B and B and pay the garage bill here, than get ripped off at home!
And as for £50 to swap some tyres over! I pay £5 a wheel inc balance and new valve.
Anyway - stalling. Have a really good look and listen aroung the hoses on the vacuum side of the intake system. Also clean out the breathers and see if that makes a difference. My money is on a split hose.
Alternatively - I can recommend a good garage in Mid Devon and a cheap B and B ;)
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Thanks for your suggestions. I think there is a leak coming from the lower passenger side of the radiator. I havent moved my car for a few days and there is a wet patch on the floor. I will investigate more a the weekend. I think there is a seal (or somethng on the bottom of the radiator and am sure it si coming from around there) However, i noticed a cable that runs past there was looking shiney, so now i think it might be coming from higher up on the radiator.
Garage in Devon, when not at uni i live with my parents who moved in the summer down to Paignton, Devon.
Im not totally car savvy, What are the breathers, also is there anything particular i should clean them with. I know enough, just need to be doined in the right direction, then i can normally get it right first time...
Much appreciated. TiM
DVD Cinema
My Cars:

Post by DVD Cinema »

An AA chap recommended to me Profile Motors 132-138 Fosse Road South.
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Cheers i will look into it.
With regards, to leak. Well since taking my car into peugeot for the belts etc to be changed. there is a whirring noise coming from the engine, so i have booked it into peugeot to check if the whirring niose is related to when they put in the belts and no doubt hey will pick up on the leak and tell me what needs to be replaced with a quote. Hopefully this will help me with the parts i need to get if they want silly money...
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Sounds like they may have done the cam belt up too tight. Make a fuss about this, it's important.
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Thanks, i will certainly do that! Its a great help having something to say to them, otherwise they just walk all over you.
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Hi arry_b
Thanks very much for your help. I just took it into Puegeot and they are saying that it sounds like the cambelt was done up too tightly. Without your help i would have never known.
I have been driving the car now for 3/4 weeks like this. Would this have caused any damage that i could attribute to them. It is booked in for Monday when they are gonna do the work. Any suggestions would be greatfully received before they try to tell me something else is knacked.
Kind regards, TiM :)