Engine Stalling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrtimh
My Cars:

Engine Stalling

Post by mrtimh »

I have a peugeot 306 1.6SX 1997 P 3dr, and have owned it since the summer. Twice in the summer it has stalled when i am sitting at the lights. The engine starts to run very shoddy like and then it stalls. However as soon as i turn the key and go down the road it works fine. (Though i must say it doesnt run as smoothly all the time, I am sometimes in the car and you can feel engine movement as through the timeing is out. But i have just had the timimg belt changed at peugeot so im sure the timing must be ok.) Now though, i donw use the car much, just for short runs here and there one or twice a week.
Almost every time i go for a short drive the engine cuts out while i am stationary or at low revs.
Just wondered if anyone has any ideas before i have to take it back to peugeot who charged me an arm and a leg.
Cheers...
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

I cant think of anymore info to give at the moment, i am a 3-4 spanner in the haynes manual capability guide i reckon lol. If you could suggest something that would be great im a poor student with limited tools at uni.
Thanks again...
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

There's the other topic on cutting out posted after yours. I had air getting in, which seems to be a common problem. See link
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4523
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Thanks Malcom, i will look into it. I think i can hear an asperation like noise coming from the engine. Its hard to tell tho, my engine is pretty noisy anyway. Its only done 39k, all HPI checked but still the engine sounds loud. It sounds like the tappets (or eqivalent)? Cam wear, i dunno. Anyway thanks i appreciate all the help i can get.