306 electronic speedo

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vdubgeorgie
My Cars:

306 electronic speedo

Post by vdubgeorgie »

Hi there, I have just bought a 306 d turbo and the day after I bought it the speedo packed up!
The fault seems to be intermitent. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and what it could be. Is it worth changing the speed sender unit to see if that fixes it?
Thanks!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

First things first, check connections. Removing the instrument panel isn't difficult, so you could take that out and check all the multiplugs are firmly seated. Then check the connection to the sender - the contacts could be dirty so give them a squirt of WD-40 and then try.
If all the connections are good, I'd suspect the sender as the newer electronic speedos are more reliable than the older cable ones.
vdubgeorgie
My Cars:

Post by vdubgeorgie »

Thanks tried that and no change. Got a new sensor from the scrappy, and now I have a new question:[:(!]
Does anyone know if there are different types of sensor as the speedo seems to be reading slower than before, tried asking peugeot but they are not sure if they would give a different reading or not.
Thanks again.
solara

Post by solara »

What year is your car?
Does it have the mechanical speedo or electronic speedo?
solara

Post by solara »

sorry just read the subject title!
I would make sure you have the correct speedo sensor, maybe better off getting an original from Peugeot. I suspect they may differ between gearboxes.