205 front anti-roll bar - help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

205 front anti-roll bar - help

Post by ralph »

Morning
I'm trying to take off my bottom suspension arms on my 205D to renew the bushes - but one of them won't come away from the anti-roll bar.
The securing nut is off, but the old bush in the suspension arm seems fused to the bar, and when I push/turn/wallop it, the rubber in the bush soaks up all the force.
Am I safe to take off the anti-roll bar so I can remove it together with the suspension arm to try and prize the two apart?
My worry is I'll struggle to tighten the anti-roll bar when putting it back on, as Haynes says don't tighten until the car's back on it's wheels – and I dont have a hydraulic lift!
Haynes also mentions a guide bar (the thin metal bar which runs between the wheels behind the engine) which has to be set 13ins apart after the car's been lowered. Don't rekon I'll be able to do that.
Finally, is there a quicker way of getting old bushes out than a lump hammer and punch? And any things I should watch out for when putting the suspension arms back on?
Thanks in advance.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

For anyone needing to tackle this job:
I drilled rubber of the offending bush to get the suspension arm off the roll bar.
It left a metal sleeve, which was causing the problem, which I eventually got off with mole grips after heating and drilling.
There's no way the roll bar would come out without dropping the subframe - despite what Haynes says, though loosening it will make putting the supension arms back on a bit easier.
As for the bushes, they're a sod to get out and impossible to put in, so I'm going to replace the arms complete.