Pug 1.4 Diesel Coolant Bleeding? Please Help????

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickymill

Pug 1.4 Diesel Coolant Bleeding? Please Help????

Post by mickymill »

Hi,
I have recently bought a 106D 1994. The thing keeps over heating releasing pressure from the pressure cap. I have tried a new cap, Removed the thermostat, dissconnected hoses whilst running to check flow, Back flushed rad. I have now run out of ideas. I think it may be a simple job. When the rad cap is replaced there is a huge build up of pressure and the car seems to start smokin'???? It may just need the coolant system bleeding due to an airlock??? I can find one bleed screw/valve on a hose but the fabled bleed screw near the thermostat housing (so the haynes manual tells me) I cannot find. Does anyone know the correct proceedure for bleeding the coolant or has anyone had a similar experience????
Any help would be Gratefully recieved!!
Thanks,
Mickymoo1
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't know specific on the 1.4 D, but it's probably like most other Pug/Cit diesels that need a header tank making to get the water high enough to get the air out. However, I think yours is more serious and you are looking at a knackered head gasket. Engine cold, remove and replace cap, run engine for 30s- 1 min and switch off, remove rad cap and listen for a hiss of releasing pressure. Or, run engine for a while then switch off and leave overnight, remove rad cap and again listen for a hiss of releasing pressure. Pressure in either case is a good pointer to head gasket trouble. With engine running look down into the filler neck if there is a continuous stream of small bubbles coming up, worsening when you rev the engine - another classic HG sign.
These 1.4D engines are not very robust and throw headgaskets on a whim unfortunately....
mickymill

Post by mickymill »

Thanks Richard,
Looks like it's an expensive job!
Anyone wanna buy a Pug?
mickymill

Post by mickymill »

Update for anyone interested. pug now does not smoke with original pressure cap. The cap hisses constantly while the engine is running so perhaps too much pressure in the cooling system. Now my first thoughts were head gasket, but the car runs as sweet as the day it left the factory & starts on the button hot or cold. It seems I have improved the cars running by bleeding the system as best I can (i have no header type tank for bleeding), but i think i have still got air in the system. I may be clutching at straws but i can't see the head gasket being blown due to the fact it runs so well, No oil in coolant,
No coolant in oil???
Could a airlock cause a build up of pressure in the system allowing the pressure cap to Hisssss?
Although the car is great it aint worth taking to a Peugeot Dealer for something stupid that i may have missed!!
As allways any input would be much appreciated!
Ta Mickymill
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Hi Mick
I had a 106 1.4 diesel and spent £300 on skim & new gasket.
It originally had overheated from last owner and they had taken the 'stat out presumably to prevent further overheating.
It's problems(even after work) were: -
Needed coolant top ups frequently
Very weak in 2nd on STEEP hills (occ 1st gear needed!)
Used lot of oil.
I asked a couple of diesel firms for advice and they didn't want to touch it with a barge pole!
Apart from that it FLEW!
But obviously a sick car so I got rid.
If these resemble your problems, GET SHUT! It won't be worth repairs, even if sucessful.
I heard about these problems too late re the 1.4 diesel, but I've had Pug diesels for 12 years (205 +405 at mo.)and think the rest are good!
mickymill

Post by mickymill »

Right! the saga continues......
Had a compression test done.............ok
Had a pressure test done on my cooling system ..........everythings fine.
No coolant in oil!
No oil in coolant!
Still gets very hot! quickly
The electric fan fails to operate, I shorted out switch and the fan worked ok. Duff switch? me thinks so, Bought a new thermostatic fan switch, Still doesn't work.. Now I am begining to think there is a conspiracy against me. Halfords are getting rich quickly off me.................................................Can anyone through their 2 pence worth in?
before i go Bankrupt.........
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Is your temp sensor (to the gauge) ok? Is it telling you lies?
pugman
My Cars:

Post by pugman »

I'm afraid it is a head gasket problem. The 1.4D is renowned for it. I had the same problem, losing coolant through the pressure cap, fan not operating. I replaced thermostat, temp switch (the rad never got hot)and kept trying to bleed the coolant system(by the way the other bleed screw is on top of the thermostat housing pointing towards the bulhead, its a 4mm allan key to undo it.Petrol models have a third bleed screw on top of the rad.)I ran it for twelve months topping the coolant up once a week. In the end I whipped the head of to find a very small hole in the head gasket. The thing with these engines when this happens is that the owner runs them for ages with the head gasket knackered(like i did) because it seems so unlikely that it is a the cause of the problem. The result is a warped cylinder head. Fortunately this wasn't the case for me and a new gasket and a new set of head bolts (this engine has stretch bolts which should be replaced)and the problem was solved. No loss of coolant and the fan worked.