Peugeot Partner 2014, HELP needed please!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Neal
My Cars: Peugeot Partner van, 1.6 HDI 2014

Peugeot Partner 2014, HELP needed please!

Post by Neal »

Hello,

Really looking for some help or suggestions if possible please, I'm running out of ideas with the problem my Peugeot Partner 1.6 Hdi currently has. The problem is that it will sometimes start after some prolonged cranking from cold, but once it has been running two or three minutes it won't start at all, it cranks but doesn't even try to fire. I've had a diagnostic scanner plugged in to it, and the only faukt codes that show up are :
P1445 - Additive Adding. The quantity of additive injected into the fap has exceeded the maximum threshold. The fap must be changed. This logs as a permanent fault and immediately returns after erasing the code.
P1199 - Fuel circuit. Incoherence on the reserve fuel pressure (nearing no fuel). This comes up as an intermittent fault and has come back a few times after clearing the code, the fuel level on the guage is just over a 1/4 of a tank.

The only other fault code that came up once as an intermittent fault was P0001, Control of the fuel flow regulator, open circuit.

Once the van starts it will idle smoothly for ages, and revs up well, but if you drive it for the first 300yds it is ok and then the engine just stops very suddenly (it is an instant cut-out), and will not then re-start.

Initially I thought air must be getting in, so I checked all the fuel lines and connectors whifh look ok, and the twin 'o' ring seals within all look ok. I have fitted a new Mann fuel filter, and have also re-checked the fitting of that. The odd thing is just a slight whiff of easystart into the intake at the throttle body and it starts immediately. I thought the problem must be low fuel pressure, so have fitted a good 2014 second hand fuel pump and regulator, but the problem still exists. When it won't start, the fuel pressure on cranking is around 80 bar, but after a prolonged cranking period this can drop to 5 bar, but when you try another re-start it goes back to 80 bar on cranking which seems too low to me.

Some live data I've taken below :
Fuel pressure, idle 325 bsr, 2500rpm 496 bar, 3250rpm 517 bar, heavy blip of throttle it momentarily peaks at 980 bar.
Particulate Filter Differential Pressure, Idle 0, 2500rpm 0.23
EGR duty cycle, Idle 25% to 30%, 2500rpm 15%.
MAF Idle 5.6g/s, 25g/s at 2500rpm
Injector flow correction (see below)
Injector 1 - Idle (minus) -2.1 mg/impulse, 2000rpm (minus) -2.1 mg/impulse
Injector 2 - Idle +0.7 mg/impulse, 2000rpm +1.0 mg/impulse
Injector 3 - Idle (minus) -0.3, 2000rpm (minus) -0.2
Injector 4 - Idle +1.5 mg/impulse, 2000rpm +1.0 mg/impulse.

I can see there appears a reasonable difference across the injectors, would this be enough to cause initial low fuel pressure, and also the sudden stop shortly after driving it?

I checked on the diagnostic and it says the PAT fluid is 84% full, I haven't dropped the PAT fluid tank yet to check if that is correct but even if it wasn't I can't think how it could cause the non-starting, and when you've got it going the sudden stop. Also confused why it suddenly starts with a tiny whiff of easystart, could it be drawing air in somewhere else further back from the filter (I have temporarily bypassed the filter with some good rubber tubing which I think was air tight but the issue was still there).

Very sorry for the long post, I will be really grateful for any suggestions as to where else I could look as I'm running out of ideas, such a frustrating problem!

Thank you,

Neal.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Peugeot Partner 2014, HELP needed please!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As far as the additive issue goes, it’s got nothing to do with the level of the additive. You may not know that the additive contains Cerine. Cerine cannot be burnt off and stays in the particle filter. Ultimately it is this that blocks the filter and needs replacing or cleaning out.

Each time the additive pump injects a measured amount of additive into the fuel tank it keeps a note. When it gets to a certain number of injections, it determines that the maximum amount of Cerine has entered the filter and therefore puts the warning lamp on. No amount of clearing the fault will cure it until the filter has been changed or cleaned and the ECU has been told a replacement part has been fitted.

I’ll check the other codes later for you, but I suspect one of the consequences of the DPF issue is that the Engine ECU will likely go into backup mode until the filter issue has been addressed, which will result in reduced power.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Neal

Post by Neal »

Hi Marc, Thank you very muvh for helping and taking the time to look into this. I hadn't realised Cerine doesn't burn off, interesting to know and explains more to me now. Thanks again and look forward to your next post when you get chance, cherrs, Neal.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop your VIN up for me here so I can determine systems fitted.

Marc
Neal

Post by Neal »

Hi Marc, thank you very much for your reply, we're just on our way home now, if I get back before it's too late I'll send it tonight or alternatively first thing in the morning. Thank you very much again, Neal.
Neal

Post by Neal »

Hi Marc, the vin number is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

Thank you very much again,

Neal
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so here are those 2 codes as they relate to your engine 1.6 (DV6TED) 92 with Bosch Injection System:

The particle filter one we know about as I said - it is probably getting near blocking, based on the amount of additive that has been injected over the years. So it is giving you a bit of time now to get it cleaned or replaced - before it prevents regeneration from taking place at all. What sort of mileage has the vehicle done incidentally?

As for the second fault, can you recall if you were low on fuel at the time the fault occurred? It might be cheaper and prudent to start with the diesel fuel filter and change that. If you've let it run to the dregs of the tank it could of pulled all sorts of crud up into the fuel circuit causing a blockage - never good to let these get too low on fuel.
Fault codeP1445
After sales description of the fault codeAdditive adding : The quantity of additive injected into the particulate emission filter has exceeded the maximum threshold ; The particulate emission filter must be changed
Description of the diagnosticsThe volume free in the particle filter is not sufficiently large. Necessary to replace the particle filter at the next service interval
Conditions of activation of the diagnosticsEngine running
Conditions of disappearance of the fault-
Down-grade modes if fault present-
Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message-
Main customer complaints likely-
Suspect areasParticle emission filter at the end of its service life
Fault codeP1199
After sales description of the fault codeFuel circuit : Incoherence on the reserve fuel pressure (Nearing no fuel)
Description of the diagnosticsThe pressure measured in the fuel high pressure common injection rail is lower than the reference value for 800 ms even though the electrovalve is open to the upper limit
Conditions of activation of the diagnosticsThe following conditions have to be met
- engine running
- Low fuel level
Conditions of disappearance of the faultIgnition switched on
Down-grade modes if fault presentEngine stopped
Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle cruise control (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle speed limiter (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
Activation of the cooling fan at fast speed
Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning messageWarning lamp STOP
Main customer complaints likelyJerking/stalling
Lack of power
Starting problem
Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine (Vehicle equipped with "stop and start")
Suspect areasRunning out of fuel
Clogging of the fuel filter
Low pressure fuel circuit

Marc
Neal

Post by Neal »

Hi Marc, I'll have a good read through this in a few minutes, thanks for all the info. It has done 115k miles, I've replaced the fuel filter but I suppose there could be crud from the tank beyond the filter by now. It was getting low on fuel when the problem started, near empty. What I can't fathom is why with a tiny bit of easy start it fires up immediately and idles well, until it's driven and then shortly after the sudden stop, or if I let it idle and then switch of it cranks but doesn't fire, with the maximum fuel pressure on cranking achieved being around 80bar, which seems too low?