Peugeot Expert 1.9D air in fuel isue?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

borgia
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Expert 1.9D

Peugeot Expert 1.9D air in fuel isue?

Post by borgia »

Hi, first post after using the forum for years without registering!

I have a 2006 Expert 1.9D. Engine went bang a couple of years ago, replaced it with a 1.9D from a Berlingo. I've also recently changed the head gasket around 5000 miles ago. Worth mentioning, since this time, the van smokes white smoke very briefly on start up and then disappears.

Fast forward to last week. I was parked on a kerb, passengers side higher than the drivers side. The van didn't want to start. Was billowing white smoke and didn't sound like it was firing on all cylinders. Managed to pull off/bump started it but there was no power at all. Kept trying it. Phoned the AA, when he arrived it started on the button.

Next day, drove to work (30 miles away), no problems. Went to start her up about 3 hours later, didn't want to start, exactly the same symptoms. When it did start it was not firing correctly, lumpy, billowing white smoke. Same thing, phoned the AA man, by the time he arrived, it didn't want to start but fired up sounding lovely. Drove home, no issues.

Now the next day, when going home it felt underpowered, particularly when going up hills. Was smoking a bit of white smoke, but sounded like it was firing correctly, hence driving it.

Day after, absolutely fine in the morning. 5pm, didn't want to start, when it did, it was the same symptoms, lumpy, not sounding like it's firing on all symptoms, billowing white smoke, and the engine was practically trying to jump out of the engine bay.

There are some fault codes, which make no sense to me.

I've noticed that there are air bubbles in what appears to be the intake fuel line going tank-clear line #1-filter-clear line #2- fuel pump. Of note though the bubbles are present when I press the primer, and this is only in the clear line #1, before the fuel filter. There doesn't appear to be bubbles after the filter, going to the pump.

My current thoughts are that there is air in the fuel lines, because I can see it! However, one of the AA men said this was completely normal. I've tried bypassing the fuel filter, but it was very messy and I struggled to make the connection airtight.

Would air in the fuel lines cause it to run like this?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Peugeot Expert 1.9D air in fuel isue?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum. Might I suggest a couple of things? First, if you were to post up the VIN (which will automatically be obscured so only Moderators will be able to read it) a Moderator will be able to look it up and find out exactly what she had when she rolled out of the factory. Second, there are Forum members who not only have Lexia equipment, they have also said that they are willing to help out other Forum members. Some of them have 'gone quiet', so may not respond to a PM for help, but others are still available to ask. If you click on the following link it will bring up the list (and their locations);

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
borgia

Post by borgia »

Thanks for the response.

The VIN number is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

It doesn't look like there is anyone close to me in Bridgend. The AA sent through some fault codes to my email. I'll post them here;

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - 53M / Diesel EDC Lucas DCN2 Status :P1102 - Needle sensor. Error Message : Open circuit/earth/positive short. Error static. Status :P0405 - Exhaust-gas recirculation solenoid valve. Error Message : Open circuit/ground short. Error static. Status :P0102 - Air-mass-meter signal. Error Message : Short to ground. Intermittent. Status :P1608 - Warning light, coolant temperature. Error Message : Open circuit/earth/positive short. Intermittent.

Thanks again for any help.
borgia

Post by borgia »

Does anyone know how to diagnose problems with the fuel pump?
borgia

Post by borgia »

Update:

I've checked the timing - everything is where it should be. So I assume the pump is still timed correctly.
Martinez
My Cars: Pug 407 2.0 hdi sport
Berlingo Nu Venture Surf 2.0 hdi

Post by Martinez »

Had this on my 407. It was the o ring seal on the fuel filter. It was alright whilst driving. But if parked overnight it used to suck air in through the seal and I’d have to bleed it out
borgia

Post by borgia »

Martinez wrote: 27 May 2019, 21:38 Had this on my 407. It was the o ring seal on the fuel filter. It was alright whilst driving. But if parked overnight it used to suck air in through the seal and I’d have to bleed it out
Thanks for the reply.

I'll double check the seals on the filter.

But, even if I pressurise the fuel with the plunger, and bleed out the air, it still doesn't run correctly...I'm guessing yours did?
Martinez
My Cars: Pug 407 2.0 hdi sport
Berlingo Nu Venture Surf 2.0 hdi

Post by Martinez »

Well, it got worse over period of time. I eventually saw the bubbles coming from the seal on the filter when I primed it. It run run ok with occasional misfire, but when I left it overnight it drew air into the system as it cooled down. Caused me real headache for some time. Soon as I changed seal it never broke down again