206 Diesel ECU problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leemel

206 Diesel ECU problem

Post by leemel »

Just got a 206 diesel LX (X reg) and I currently am experiencing the following.
For no reason, the rev counter seems to stop working.
This then causes the engine to sound very rough, and if you stop and restart the car, the engine management diag light doesn't come on, and neither does the diesel preheat.
Now...
I left it overnight, and the car appeared to work fine for the day.
Started it this morning, fine...got about 20 miles on the way to work...
rev counter drops, car sounds rough...same problem.
Can anyone give me any idea what this could be?
Thanks,
Lee
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Crank sensor? Is it going into a sort of "limp home" mode?
leemel

Post by leemel »

Yes...I think that's whats happening.
What is the crank sensor for? I'm no mechanic, what I'm trying to find out is whether it is electrical in nature, or whether there is some underlying mechanical fault that could be causing this.
It screams ECU problems...with the intermittent nature, and the way it just clears itself. Today...Its done it first thing this morning..then its gone fine for the rest of the day.
Its a tricky one thats for sure...but then again, the garage are going to have to sort it.
One thing I've just remembered...I had a stereo fitted as part of the deal...could incorrect wiring on the cd player cause these kind of faults...or am I just chasing shadows here.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I'd guess at the crank sensor which tells the ECU where the engine is in revolution terms and hence knows when to squirt the diesel in. Would help to know if it's a 1.9D with the ECU or a 2.0HDi, as they have different problems all of their own.
The crank sensor is a guess and could be a temperature sensor playing up; perhaps try a quick cross post onto the Citroen forum as there seems to be more knowledge on there (than I have on PSA diesels, anyway!).
leemel

Post by leemel »

Its a 1.9 plain...couldn't find a HDi....for the price I wanted to pay.
It's been checked out by the dealership...they haven't found anything...but like you say, the warranty will cover me.
Cheers for the advice
Lee
leemel

Post by leemel »

Right...car was taken to Pavillion at Derby who found it had a fault with one of the ECU relay units. This was replaced, at the dealers expense. So far, so good!