205 Diesel cuts out while ticking over!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chas smash

Post by chas smash »

Yes hand priming still allows the engine to run correctly.
Don't get me wrong i believe that the piston rings are worn even though the car is 14 years old it has only done 111,000 miles not a lot really to have worn piston rings. I suspect the rings to be worn because in the 5 years i have had the car it has always been a bit heavy on oil more than expected but not too much to make it silly.
i suspect the engine perhaps once got over heated as a new radiator has definately been fitted the car had only done 78,000 miles when i bought it in 1998 and had only one lady owner from new. She possibly did a lot of short journeys but not sure if this would have worn the rings.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

still sounds like you are pulling air into the system.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If the MOT inspector noticed that the fuel pipe was damp, it's very possible that that is the cause of your air leak. There are two rubber hoses connecting the top of the tank to the rigid pipework. Both of the hoses perish after several years. I've owned two 205's and I've had to replace the hoses on both. Raise the rear seat, remove the 4" rubber stopper in the floor and the hose connections can be seen through the hole. It's a fairly simple job to replace them.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

had a similar experience with 205D of the wifes. It was the bleed screw o-ring. See link
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4523
pugman
My Cars:

Post by pugman »

Did the problem occur after you replaced the fuel filter?If so then I suspect that there is a hairline crack in the fuel filter housing. Over tightening of the fuel filter puts stress on the casting causing it to crack(the casting can also become porous). You probably wont be able to see the crack but you can get one from the scrap yard for a couple of quid and they are straight forward to fit.Assuming the one from the scrap yard is ok then it should solve your problem. Ford diesels are renowned for it so the same might apply on your pug
chas smash

Post by chas smash »

The problem has been solved and the car is running the best it ever has although i cannot report the exact cause.
The diesel pump was replaced with a £50 one from a yard.
The rubber hoses were replaced.
I suspect it was one of the hoses but not entirely sure which one.
But the diesel pump seems to have helped the car runn much better too!!
Anyway i am happier now. car starts and runs nicely first time.
There is life in her yet!!
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Typical bloody car, spend weeks trying to sort, then you do 2 things and you don't know which has cured it!!
Pleased you're sorted!!
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

Raise the rear seat, remove the 4" rubber stopper in the floor and the hose connections can be seen through the hole. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thank you!
I have had similar problems with my 205 for some time now but didn't know about the stopper under the seat!
I removed the stopper and covered both joints with a thick layer of grease and the problem has gone! I'll have to replace the rubber pipes in due course.
Incidentally, does anyone know off-hand what diameter the two rubber tubes are?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sponix</i>
Incidentally, does anyone know off-hand what diameter the two rubber tubes are?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
From memory - internal 6mm. When attempting to replace the two hoses, treat the two stubs on the top of the unit with great care. Age makes the plastic very brittle.
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

I think you will find the bores are of different diameter for feed & return.
The feed is a bigger bore than return.
What I would suggest is measure with a micrometer a clean piece of the METAL tubes, to which the rubber pass over, either under the rubber stopper or beneath the car, and the find bolts of identical diameters, then you have a couple of ready made 'plug guages' to try on the bores available at the car spares.
Dont forget new hose clips while you're there!