Coolant level drop

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AnoBen
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 2013

Coolant level drop

Post by AnoBen »

Hi all,

I bought my 2013 Peugeot 3008 in September last year and the coolant level was slightly below the max line.

The coolant is now almost between the min and max lines, and therefore the level dropped by around 1cm in 6 months. The car has done 2.5k miles of mostly motorway driving. Is it ok to have this kind of coolant level drop or is it usually due to a leak somewhere?

Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Coolant level drop

Post by Peter.N. »

You will often have a loss of coolant if its near the full point, on the occasions that it gets very hot the coolant will expand and be ejected via the reservoir cap or overflow. Providing it doesn't drop substantially I wouldn't worry about it, just check it now and again.

Peter
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Coolant level drop

Post by xantia_v6 »

You have a small leak somewhere, but they can be very difficult to find. It could also be that the coolant was drained and not properly bled before you bought the car, and the drop in level is due to air-pockets in the engine now being filled with coolant. Top it up and see if it happens again. If it only needs topping up every few months, it is probably not worth chasing the leak. To find a minor leak like this, you need to either add some tracer dye to the system, or pressurise it to the rated pressure when the engine is cold.