106 clanking noise - from clutch??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

106 clanking noise - from clutch??

Post by mgoodlad »

Hi - my 1996 106 1.5d 82k miles has been making a noise which is getting worse. It is a very metallic clank from the front. It started off just when switching the car off - a clank with the vibration then - now it is happening with the vibrations when I start up (quite noticable) and also happens a lot when putting the power on and off and when changing gear - if I am cruising at low revs and put foot on and off the accelerator it clanks away....
It is a quite "light" sound as opposed to the deeper clunking you get when it is a suspension joint gone. It is not the driveshafts. There is a bit of wear in the gearchange linkage on that ball thing but I coated it in grease so it could not clank like that.
Put the car up on ramps and I can find nothing loose at all - I thought initially it sounded a bit like a heat shield loose or something but nothing at all like that loose. Got someone to start and stop the car a few times when I was underneath - it really seems to be coming from inside the gearbox/clutch assembly. When I manually push in and out the cluch release lever at the top of the gearbox I can possibly hear the beginning of the sound but can't reproduce it.
One thing that probably hasn't been done is periodic of the clutch pedal height (from memory something like 115mm travel?), - the bite point is about half way up and the car drives fine. It was an eBay purchase and virtually no service history and some evidence of neglect..I will have a look at that in the next day or two.
So my current theory is something loose in the clutch area - release forks?? Am I likely to have a clutch failure without warning? Or can it simply be poor adjustment and tightening it up will cure it?
Regards
Michael
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

SORTED! Turns out to be........the engine mounts causing the exhaust to flex. Adjusted the clutch a few times but no difference to the noise. I knew there was a lot of vibration of the engine - started off by replacing the enginge mount at the front right - by the timing belt/beside the coolant expansion tank. This was a pain to change until I realised there is a blanking panel from inside the wheel arch to get at the bottom nut. Once changed this made the car worse and really shook at idle.
I guess this is because before the engine was shaking on 3 soft mounts, there was now one hard one and this unbalanced everything and the 2 remaining soft ones were taking a hammering.
Last night took off the mounts underneath, at the back of the engine, next to the exhaust down pipe. These were easy to get off, but difficult to change as you have to drive a round bush out of its holder and press the new one in. Managed in the end by putting the mount in the oven and the new bush in the freezer for a while, than a mixture of heavy hammer (probably not recommended) and heavy duty bench vice to get it in. When putting it back together I could reproduce the noise by rocking the engine up and down at the back - seems to be simply the exhaust joint at the spring bolts flexing which then echoes all over the place. New mounts in place and no trace at all of the noise. Phew. Still have the gearbox mounting to change under the battery but I believe that is fairly straightforward - still a bit of vibration through the car which will hopefully be cured with that.
Hope this is helpful to someone.
Michael
1996 306 TD 66k miles
1996 106 1.5d 86k miles
samcro

Post by samcro »

This sounds very much like what's happening on my 106 1.5d ('98 model) Will have a look at those engine mounts at the weekend...
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

take look to see if the down pipe has a bolt fixing to the bottom rear of the engine, if its missing the exhaust will still move a bit