Turbo.... oh yey

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madmaxgav

Turbo.... oh yey

Post by madmaxgav »

More coupe issues... remind me why I love this car so much?
So, some of you know I've been chasing a stupid cold running hesitation for some time on my hdi136, well at weekend the turbo decided that it wanted to take its ball away and didn't want to play anymore [-X
Nice cloud of smoke and what I can only describe as a siren coming from under the bonnet.
Went in this morning to have a shiny new turbo, what a nightmare that looks to do, 9 hours and last I knew still not back together lol. Seems inside the feed pipe banjo bolt there's a stupid tiny thin plastic gauze filter, seems the end of it has vanished, could be the culprit. And seeing as turbo needs oil flow to keep it from self destroying, it's going back together without the damn thing.
So, question. Good idea or bad idea? Personally I don't want a new turbo and a new stupid tiny gauze potentially doing the same thing again costing me another 700 quid ffs
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Turbo.... oh yey

Post by citroenxm »

Remove.. Keep on top of oil changes don't go over the service interval.. but more importantly do NOT leave an injector seal blowing.. Although this is more destructfull on a 1.6 16v hdi rather then a 2.0 16v hdi..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Well 20 hours, a new turbo, oil and filter, 4 roll bar links and a cv boot later. And it's gutless, as in feels like my 307 90hp gutless, in fact the 307 would annihilate it. I'm ready to give up ffs it's mapped to 175bhp and felt like it too until the turbo gave up, and now it's more like 75bhp end of
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So what happened? Are you sure they actually fitted the flipping thing?

Was this done at a main Peugeot dealer or elsewhere? There's a reason for asking Gav.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Elsewhere, can't say too much as it's one of our own workshops but they know I'm not happy. And yes it's deffo fitted, I have the old one in the boot lol. But it's absolutely gutless, at the end of the day we know our own cars, I know from low revs if I floored it in 1st or 2nd it would boost and spin the wheels up, decent torque, how the car responded etc. I know it's mapped to 173.4bhp and 386.8nm (Got the print out for it) and even with its issues it felt like it, even when the turbo started to fail it still felt like it. Now it's like it doesn't have a turbo, can hear some manner of spoiling but absolutely sod all power
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was going to suggest that if the work was done at a dealer, they may have updated the engine ECU and that of course would of wiped out your re-map....

Best thing is to get it on Lexia and check out the live data, especially the turbo readings and see if it there is anything obvious

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

I'm borrowing a diag today to see whats going on.
It's flat, theres no torque curve, or boost by the feel of it. Plant your foot normally and there's a small delay, then it's off and pulls like hell. But now there's none of that at all. Also doesn't sound right, the spool doesn't seem to change pitch, and there's a second airy noise I can hear too, no a boost like I don't think.
Starting to wonder if a vac pipe or two are the wrong way around or something so the actuator isn't doing a thing.
Also, slightly random, but that lumpy miss/hesitation took far far longer than it normally does to show it's face this morning, could just be coincidence
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you checked the intercooler and its pipes, they can split or come off.

Peter
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

madmaxgav wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 08:46 Starting to wonder if a vac pipe or two are the wrong way around or something so the actuator isn't doing a thing.
Easy enough to check - observe the actuator arm when the engine starts. It should retract about 12mm under vacuum.
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Actuator looks to be moving. But it's still gutless. Nothing obvious on diag either, just a code P0088 fuel pressure regulator control, rail pressure too high, cleared it and it hasn't come back
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That fault is enough to put it in limp mode Gav, which will account for lack of power.

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

New pressure reg turning up today all being well so I can get it fitted tonight.
Quick question before I get a 2nd opinion on this turbo. So originally I had a nice cloud of smoke and the lovely siren noise from under the bonnet, but still boosted and drove pretty normally. New one fitted and it's gutless... until you hit 3k rpm that is, then it boost like crazy and launches you. However, I have noticed something interesting, the same siren noise, all be it much much quieter than it was when the other turbo went. And no, not spool/normal turbo noise, this is 100% a siren noise.
Any ideas?
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Well, a quick update. Trust your diag.. as some of you know fuel pressure reg was one of the original faults thrown up months ago, didn't show its head again for 6 months, after pretty much every switch and sensor that could possibly be replaced, finally did pressure reg, and boom, hesitation stuttering missing surging, pretty much the scourge of the car since I got it, has all gone!!! So lesson learned, never ignore diag.
But............ still no boost till 3k rpm. I don't get it, there's literally nothing, then at 3k it's everything at once. Spent all morning with the minivac checking hoses, turbo actuator retracting when car started, put the midi onto the turbo and actuator moves as soon as any vac is applied. Really don't get it. Still got the similar noise as the original turbo had. I'm getting to a point of seriously falling out of love with this car.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Pleased to hear that, I had a similar problem on a C5 and the regulator cured it but that was on the 12 valve engine. Have you tried disconnecting the MAF? no low speed boost could be down to that.

Peter
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Literally just tried that. Still exactly the same, possibly a bit worse with it unplugged, no eml from that either which I would have expected